We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Do You Expect From a Partial Oceanview Room???

Cumming, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
What Do You Expect From a Partial Oceanview Room???

After reading this recent review of the Radisson tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147249-d147… I am curious as to people's expectations for a partial view of the ocean from their room if that is indeed what they are paying for.

Four of the 5 times we have stayed at the Radisson, we have had partial oceanview rooms. One was in the Aruba tower which overlooked a roof, BUT did indeed have a lovely view of the ocean. The 2nd was a similar view in the Aruba tower, but further back from the ocean and though a view of the ocean, just okay.

The 3rd was in the Curacao tower with a view of the Riu's parking deck and room renovation refuse as well as a "partial view" of the ocean picturesofaruba.com/radisson/room_3522_view_… from our balcony, facing in the right direction.

The 4th was glimpses of the ocean through the palm trees from our Bonaire tower room.

Never did we have a full view of the ocean such as we would have had from a Curacao suite or Aruba tower even numbered room but we also never felt like we did not receive what we paid for. How would you define a "partial oceanview"?

Edited: 10:45 am, April 05, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Curacao
Curacao
Caribbean
Bonaire
Bonaire
Caribbean
Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,555 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What Do You Expect From a Partial Oceanview Room???

I never expect much from a partial ocean view when I book one no matter where I travel. If I can see just a sliver of the water while leaning over my balcony and looking sideways, that is a partial ocean view. I have learned that if a view is important to me I need to fork out the extra dollars for oceanview or (better yet) oceanfront.

Beverly Hills...
Level Contributor
2,900 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What Do You Expect From a Partial Oceanview Room???

A really nice seascape painted on black velvet hung over the bidet in the bathroom.

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,986 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What Do You Expect From a Partial Oceanview Room???

I have stayed in Bonaire ocean view rooms twice. I was happy with the first room. Ocean is quite far, but the overall view was very nice. Second room was way back accross from the RIU. I wasn't unhappy, but slightly disappointed based on first experience. If I were to return to the Radisson, I would choose partial oceanview again.

Mentioned in this post
Bonaire
Bonaire
Caribbean
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
960 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What Do You Expect From a Partial Oceanview Room???

<<A really nice seascape painted on black velvet hung over the bidet in the bathroom.>>

So painted on canvas isn't good enough for you? ;)

Over the years I have learned that "partial oceanview" means that there is a way to see at least a sliver of ocean, even if that means you have to sit on the shoulders of the person you are sharing the room with in order to do so.

Kind of how "garden view" can mean a view of a bush next to the hotel dumpster.

Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,752 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What Do You Expect From a Partial Oceanview Room???

We could glimpse the sea from our balcony in the Bonaire Tower just fine, and it didn't matter a bit that there was vegetation in the way. LOTS OF IT. I'm with Amy--there are more important things for us to spend our money on than a view.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
960 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What Do You Expect From a Partial Oceanview Room???

I agree Lori12309 . We generally spend very little time in the room when we are in places like Aruba - usually on the beach for most of the day and then out for dinner and drinks at night, so we typically will not spend a significant premium for a full-on ocean view.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,555 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What Do You Expect From a Partial Oceanview Room???

Tober - love your description of "garden view". So true. LOL!

The only time I expect "more" is when I have paid MORE for a full oceanview or oceanfront. Sometimes we book those, sometimes not. Just depends on where we are, the extra cost, and if we really need the view (if we're celebrating an event, etc.)

Hull, Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
2,205 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What Do You Expect From a Partial Oceanview Room???

I laughed at Amy's description. I always think back to one of our trips to Mexico. Now that was a partial ocean view! Just like Amy said-lean out and look sideways and way down there is a peak of the ocean. The next time we upgraded and dropped the word partial -ocean view was way better!

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,555 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What Do You Expect From a Partial Oceanview Room???

arubaweek - I've had that room many times in the past. LOL! When I book a partial oceanview anywhere I expect to have to manuever/contort my body in some fashion to see water. LOL!

Central NY
Level Contributor
174 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What Do You Expect From a Partial Oceanview Room???

We booked a partial oceanview at the Radisson in Sept, and ended up with that same Riu Parking Deck view, with a slight view of the ocean if we stood and looked out over the railing. Was I praying it would be slightly better than that - sure. Did I get what I expected for the price - yes.