We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

airport time

Plymouth, Indiana
Level Contributor
253 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
airport time

Thought I'd post a new one on our experience at the airport. I know some have asked how much time to allow. Since we had a rental car to return, we allowed just over 2 hours. Needed every minute. As we learned, there is something to be said about "Island Time". It means slow!! Even though my husband got right up to the counter, it took 1/2 hour to check our car in. We have only flown out of the country 2 times before and Aruba's international airport is very different than Mexico. We almost missed picking up our luggage that we'd thought we'd checked at the ticket counter. Going through security twice was something unexpected and while waiting to go through customs once again, realized everyone else had their checked baggage with them. We did notice the baggage carrousel and I questioned my husband about it but just thought it was weird they had it there for incoming passengers. As it was, we had to go back and retreive our "checked baggage" and haul to another conveyor to get loaded. The lines were long and slow and several times aiport personnel came through calling for passengers on certain flights as they were boarding and were about to be left. Maybe it was just since we were leaving on a Sat. but I barely had time for a potty break before boarding our plane.

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: airport time

The rule of thumb for Aruba is 3 hours. Any less and you'll most likely be one of those people who needs special attention to get through on time. Don't ask me how I know that ;)

Are you referring to the Cancun airport, by the way? I found that place frighteningly slow...and then just when I was truly ready to be home in my own bed...I had to go through it all again after landing.

That's one of the many nice things about a trip to Aruba...the US Customs inspection is taken care of before you leave :)

Plymouth, Indiana
Level Contributor
253 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: airport time

Island Hopper - No, the Mexican airport was Puerto Vallarta. A breeze to go through but Chicago O'Hare was a nightmare. Exactly what you said. So ready to get home and then have those long lines to wait again. I guess that can be the good thing about Aruba, it's all done there. It's just that I didn't know ahead of time. I'd read before we'd left that 2 hours would be enough but you're right again, 3 is needed, at least if you're returning a car.