We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hyatt vs Marriott Honeymoon Help

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
51 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hyatt vs Marriott Honeymoon Help

Hi!

My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon and Aruba is one of the places we haven't been but have heard so many good things about!

Top hotel picks would be the Hyatt or the Marriott. Any feedback on these? The Hyatt looks so nice but the prices seem so high. Is it worth it?

We are used to traveling to Carribean and Mexico all inclusive type places so this would be different for us. We like to stay at modern-updated type resorts.

Thanks for any feedback.

Tara

Boston
Level Contributor
891 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hyatt vs Marriott Honeymoon Help

Have stayed at the Marriott, but not the Hyatt; have walked thru and looked at rooms at the Hyatt, though. The Hyatt is a top-end product, and many people swear by them. They are in a good location and have some great restaurants. The rooms are nicely appointed, but the balcony is small. Can't say much more about the Hyatt.

The Marriott is a larger property and is at the end of the high rise strip. In my opinion it is very busy, particularly at the beach. It is about a 10 min. walk to the shopping malls, if that is "your thing". There are restaurants up-and-down the high rise strip (which is about a mile in length), and you can walk to all of them, as well as to all the high rise hotels. The Marriott does have some nice restaurants on property also. Their rooms are larger and more colorfully appointed (my opinion). And they completed a multi-million dollar renovation just a few years ago. Just north of the Marriott is construction on a new Ritz Carlton, but I have not heard any disturbing noises during our last stays. However, if you get a room on that side you will not have much of a "view".

You may want to look into the Tradewinds section of the Marriott; they offer you some "perks" that you don't get with the regular hotel, and they don't charge too much more for it.

We have been thinking of staying at the Hyatt, but cannot justify the price difference from the Marriott as we think they are not much different in comfort and accommodations

Both properties offer some sort of meal plan, although it is not an AI. We have traveled to Mexico and the Dominican for AI, but not in Aruba; too many great restaurants to lock yourself into staying on property. Many people think it is too Americanized, but that is why we like it. Everybody speaks English and take USD. And everybody is super friendly and helpful. I could get into more specifics, but I hope this is enough info to help you make a decision.

Whichever one you choose I'm sure you will be happy. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding, and enjoy your honeymoon in Aruba

Boston
Level Contributor
891 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hyatt vs Marriott Honeymoon Help

Follow - up. Look up MCM Tours at "aruba4u.com". They can offer you some very nice rates on most hotels in Aruba, and most times they can get you a meal plan that the hotel does not offer on their website; many times they are much cheaper than if you paid for the hotel meal plan. And sometimes they can get you a free upgrade.

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
9,001 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hyatt vs Marriott Honeymoon Help

Between the two, I would choose the Hyatt. Not as crowded and in a better location; however, for your honeymoon, have you considered Bucuti Beach Hotel Tara Suites? If not, check out the Bucuti website.

Bonita Springs
Level Contributor
184 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hyatt vs Marriott Honeymoon Help

I'm a Hyatt guy as well.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
51 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hyatt vs Marriott Honeymoon Help

Thank you for the feedback! I hear you on the Hyatt prices. It seems so high. I like the location it is in with being so close to everything and it's upscale but I am worred about the price. For a better price Marriott seems good. I think the SC?

I have also seen alot of reviews on the beach and reserving issues for the papula's. Did you notice an issue at the Marriott? Do they have water sports right from the beach there like kyacking, sailing?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
51 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hyatt vs Marriott Honeymoon Help

Hi! Thanks for your feedback. I have seen those and alot of people like them. I am concerned they are too small for us. We typically like to stay in more of a resort type place with activities and a gym. I dont believe they have a gym there?

Boston
Level Contributor
891 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hyatt vs Marriott Honeymoon Help

There are water sports vendors up and down the beach in the high rise area; just take your pick.

Reserving a palapa at any of the high rise hotels is an adventure. At the Marriott Stellaris they start issuing them at 7 am, and people start lining up shortly after 6 to get the front row. Not all are available because people can rent them a day or two before. At the SC they have a policy that is a little more confusing - to the point that I can't explain it very well; some are for rental, some you can get the afternoon before, some you get the same morning, etc.

Don't remember the OC policy as well, but I think theirs is a little simpler.

Gym is available at the SC for SC customers only. Gym between the OC and Stellaris is for use by both; I think it is the nicer gym of the two. And right now they are constructing a new pool in front of the door way into the gym. Have heard two stories: one is it is going to be an adults only pool, or the other that it is only for Tradewinds customers only. Either way it is supposed to be usable by late Oct. of this year.

Boston
Level Contributor
891 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hyatt vs Marriott Honeymoon Help

Just an after though: go to "arubaplayground.com" to get more specifics about the Marriott.

Beverly Hills...
Level Contributor
2,900 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hyatt vs Marriott Honeymoon Help

Gosh, things must have changed since my honeymoon days when I would have stayed at a Motel 6 if they had a comfortable bed and room service! ;)

You only get one honeymoon (in theory at least), so go for the best you can afford...and in Aruba that would be the Hyatt!

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

10. Re: Hyatt vs Marriott Honeymoon Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 pm, October 23, 2012