We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Having difficulty with car rental firms

toronto
Level Contributor
191 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Having difficulty with car rental firms

We are having difficulty arranging for a rental. E-mailed Tropic

3 times with no response of confirmation. They lost our business because of that. Then arranged a rental with Royal, but on the confirmation was a higher price than initiallly confirmed. Have sent them faxes on the weekend, still no reply.

What shoud we due?

Hamilton Sq, NJ
Level Contributor
737 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Having difficulty with car rental firms

What e-mail address did you use for Tropic? This is not like Hans to not respond.

As far as Royal, if you have a quote from them on an e-mail then I would respond that you expect them to honor it.

Teanne

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
9,001 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Having difficulty with car rental firms

http://www.econoaruba.com/home.do

Try ECONO. They have a toll free telephone number. Click on above. I found them to be responsive and they have an office at the airport.

toronto
Level Contributor
191 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Having difficulty with car rental firms

I too was surprised not to get a response from Tropic, as everyone raves about them on this forum. Hans was my first choice, and we are frustrated.

The e-mail I have for Hans Dhooge is tropiccarrent@setarnet.aw.

We are getting nervous as we don't want to be on the plane to Aruba, worrying whether there will be a car for us when we land. We don't want to be in the position of having to arrange to get a car when we land, just because it will be so much more expensive.

Are they just slow to respond in Aruba? We've never had any problems renting cars in St. Martin, Turks & Caicos and Mexico in advance. Everyone has been very professional.

Has anyone else run into this kind of problem with Tropic or Royal?

Hamilton Sq, NJ
Level Contributor
737 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Having difficulty with car rental firms

That is very unlike Hans. When are you leaving?

Teanne

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Having difficulty with car rental firms

I have used Tropic for years and have never experienced this issue. I wonder if they are having issues with their web server?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
241 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Having difficulty with car rental firms

Please don't take this the wrong way as it isn't meant to because I love doing everything on-line. But good old fashioned landline phone still works the best but then an email with everything to confirm (so you have the paper as a back up) would be expected. I like to assume that everyone gets my emails but you know what assuming does :)

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,643 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Having difficulty with car rental firms

Have you checked your email SPAM folder? Sometimes email from Hans will end up in your SPAM folder.

We've rented from Hans many times and never had any problems and have always received prompt emails from him.

We also use Optima/Payless. They also offer great service as well. http://www.optimarentacar.com/

Bronx, New York
Level Contributor
297 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Having difficulty with car rental firms

I had the same experience with them. They eventually DID respond, but several days later. I too was put off by the "delayed" response, but decided to be patient & give them a few days. I haven't pulled the trigger on renting from them yet, but probably will. . :shrugs:

IMO you can either exercise a little bit more patience, or move on to the next : ) Good luck, and have a wonderful time!!

Boston...
Level Contributor
203 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Having difficulty with car rental firms

I am renting from Top Drive. First time dealing with Top Drive. I have been corresponding with them thru emails. I get a response within 24hrs. Price of the rental car is great and they are throwing in a free additional driver. Also, they are delivering the car to the resort . www.arubatopdrive.com.

MINNEPOLIS
Level Contributor
178 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Having difficulty with car rental firms

I rented from Top Drive the middle of February. They were great to work with. They brought the car to our rental house and came back and picked it up a week later. The prices I felt were very good.