We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are your MUST PACKS when packing to go to Aruba?

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
299 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
What are your MUST PACKS when packing to go to Aruba?

What things were you glad you brought and what things did you not use?

Just curious and hoping someone can save me from packing too much and or forgetting something important!

(-;

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
933 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are your MUST PACKS when packing to go to Aruba?

My packing is about the same for every island but you might not want to listen to me as I am chronic overpacker!! We always bring 2 insulated mugs with covers - keeps the drinks colder longer and the sand out! Always buy a throwaway regular and an underwater camera - much cheaper here than on island. We use these cameras while on excursions - that way we dont have to worry about the 'good' camera. We always bring plenty of $1s and $5s - dont have to worry about change for tips. I pack all my shampoos, deoderants, lotions, suntan lotion etc in freezer bags with good closures - that way they wont get on my clothes if one leaks! I dont bring my 'whole' wallet - a lot of that stuff I just dont need while on vacation. I do try to print off things I have read on message boards instead of tring to rely on my memory--for instance restaurant names, tours, etc. Because I am contact lens wearer I always pack an extra set of lenses - you just never know!!

Ok..yes, I am obsessed with vacation planning :)

New York
Level Contributor
476 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What are your MUST PACKS when packing to go to Aruba?

I brought slippers for the hotel room - I never did this before, but it was great since there is no carpet on the floors. I also brought a thin, light robe - I never did this before either, but I was glad to have it.

I also pack shampoo/condition/hair serum in zip lock bags in case of leakage.

I only brought 1 book, wish I had 2.

We brought suntan lotion w/ us b/c it was more expensive out there.

We also printed out information to take along to refresh our memories.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
933 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What are your MUST PACKS when packing to go to Aruba?

I didnt want anyone to know how much reading I do but I always bring at least 4 books!

Canada
Level Contributor
738 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What are your MUST PACKS when packing to go to Aruba?

missphilly, if you have some time and I have found this has helped me with planning and packing for a vacation anywhere, I start by jotting down things I think I will need on the vacation and then if time allows I make a list on my computer. Over the years on my packing list on my computer has grown and I add to it if I go anywhere and found I wish I had brought something with me. Every time I go on vacation, I make a hard copy of the list for everyone in the family. Of course with every vacation you won't need everything on your travel list, so you just cross it off, but it is nice to have the reminder if you ever need it.

Over the years, I have found I bring along extra wire hangers that you get from the dry cleaners, as they never seem to have enough in hotel rooms and I personally like to hang most of my stuff up. I leave these wire hangers behind when I leave for others to use. I also like to take along various sizes of ziploc bags (they don't take up much room) and pack sunscreen, lotions, shampoo, hair conditioners, tootpaste in them so if they leak on the plane, they are contained in the bag and don't mess up my clothes.

A small nighlight is handy if you need to get up in the dark in a unfamiliar room.

In my carry-on I pack some sunscreen, a bathing suit, shorts and top, so if I get to my destination and my room isn't ready when I arrive, I can change, slap on some sunscreen and I am ready to go to the pool or beach.

We found Aruba's sun very strong compared to other southern destinations and this is because Aruba is so close to the Equator, so don't forget to take along lots of sunscreen (preferably water proof/resistant). We got a major tan and we used 30 sunscreen the whole week. If you wear contact lenses, take along a extra pair and always take along your eyeglasses.

Have a good time. Enjoy!

Burlington...
Level Contributor
782 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What are your MUST PACKS when packing to go to Aruba?

I agree with Fly Girl. Especially about the notes...I keep mine year after year. Also, house notes too, about what should be done while we're away.

Ziploc bags are great! When we came back from the Bahama's and were waiting for our luggage at Logan, it was quite cold! Everyone was searching in their carry ons for a jacket or whatever, this poor girl opened her bag and her lotion and perfume were all over everything, and boy, did it smell.

I always wear a jogging type suit with a hoodie and tee shirt when we're leaving...(put sandals in my bag) When we get there, you take the jacket off, roll the pants up a bit (mine had tags to roll them up with, bought them at Kohl's) and now, you're nice and cool. Aruba is very hot and you don't want to be stuck will heavy clothes on. We went there a year ago March and left in a blizzard! Same when we left for the Bahama's this past March. Boy, was it great to feel the warm air....Also, like someone said, put a bathing suit and coverup in your carry on, in case check in is late.

I packed way to many clothes for Aruba, hardly used any of them, cause it was so warm all the time.

Have fun!

N

San Diego...
Level Contributor
398 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What are your MUST PACKS when packing to go to Aruba?

I take an extra pair of cheapy sun glasses and any over the counter meds you need. They are pretty expensive there. Also buy your suncreen in the states. I usually buy and use some of the Aruba Aloe products while I'm there. They have shampoos, conditioners, after sun lotion which I really like. My son had a bad burn this past vist. He used the after sun lotion. It really worked well. They also have a great carrtot suntan lotion, made by frenchtop it is made in Holland. Great stuff, I get a great tan. One thing to remember is to make sure you put sunblock on the parts in your hair, top of your ears and feet.

Also various sizes of zip lock bags.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
299 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What are your MUST PACKS when packing to go to Aruba?

Wow, OK those were great, especially the packing notes on the computer, extra books and the ziplock bags! And dang, I have to reread them again because there was another idea that I thought was great but forgot to mention.... see why I need lists?

thanks so much! I hope if anybody think of any more they can keep adding on!

I officially start my packing tomorrow morning! We leave Monday the 14th!

Wish me luck!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
933 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What are your MUST PACKS when packing to go to Aruba?

I will be right there with you - packing!!! We leave on the 12th!!

MASSACHUSETTS
Level Contributor
382 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What are your MUST PACKS when packing to go to Aruba?

Missphilly: We are also leaving for Aruba on the 14th out of Boston!!! Where are you staying?

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
299 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What are your MUST PACKS when packing to go to Aruba?

Hi! We are staying at the Marriott! Me, our parents and my two sons.

Where are you staying?