We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dining disasters

Roselle, New Jersey
Level Contributor
257 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Dining disasters

We are on Aruba now. We have never been so disgusted with our dining experiences. We tried the new Peruvian place, and chose what some others on TA ordered, but could not hardly touch it. App. Not hot, entree too heavy. After 25 years or so tried Buccaneer aagain, based on TA reviews, horrible service, sent back the catch of the day, blue Marlin, shoe leather or rubber, can't decide. Couldn't wait to leave. Chophouse was just ok. Tonight wacky Wahoo, which never disappoints. We feel we should order pizza in and forget about it. Has anyone suffered disappointments lately. Over the years, we have crossed so many off our list, I fear we will never dine out again. Starting new list for 2019. Help please.

Mentioned in this post
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
The Chophouse at Manchebo
The Chophouse at Manchebo
393 Reviews
Aruba
36 replies to this topic
Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,559 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dining disasters

We feel like we always have one disappointing dinner on every trip but it's usually just one over a 12-14 day trip so that's not too bad. LOL!

For wonderful dining experiences we have always been more than pleased with Wilhelmina and Screaming Eagle - always consistent with both great food and service every time we've been there. For casual dining we have always been happy with Bingo's, Barney's, and Tulip.

Mentioned in this post
Wilhelmina Restaurant
Wilhelmina Restaurant
633 Reviews
Aruba
Eagle Beach
Eagle Beach
8,019 Reviews
Aruba
Barney's
Barney's
740 Reviews
Aruba
new jersey
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
2,579 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dining disasters

Buccaneers has to be one of the worst meals we have had on the Island. We also read good reviews on line and decided to give it another chance, as first time was awful. Well, same thing food was terrible, but the chef did take our meals off the bill and was very friendly. That is what I add up to the good reviews because it was not the food.

We have a TS and I am really happy with that arrangement because we can eat in and don't have to spend a fortune on subpar dinners. Don't get me wrong we do go out plenty and have lovely meals, but at least we do have a choice.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
5,297 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dining disasters

We almost never have any dining disasters. There have been a few meals I have not loved...the last one was at Bingo but it was far from a disaster, I just did not like it...and they removed it from the bill. I too have read some stories about the Buccanneers and it has kept me away.

My worst experience was in my wifes home town and I almost lost my mind after being insulted by the chef/owner when I sent my steak back for being over done.....he then came out to lecture me about it not being over done and belittled me for a moment until I figured out what was going on it caught me so off guard and responded so everyone within 5 tables understood he was insulting me for not liking his cooking...it did not well at all for him, lol.

Edited: 11:55 am, June 13, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Bingo! Cafe & Restaurant
Bingo! Cafe & Restaurant
703 Reviews
Aruba
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
794 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dining disasters

Not to beat a dead issue, but we tried the Buccaneer last fall and had a poor experience, too.

After mucho years going to Aruba, probably the only other place we definitely will not visit again was Cafe O80.

On the plus side, there sure are many places on our favorites list, that we visit each trip!

Mentioned in this post
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
Dartmouth...
Level Contributor
428 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dining disasters

We must be the only people on earth that had a horrible experience at LG Smith’s Steak House. It can happen anywhere.

Mahwah, New Jersey
Level Contributor
560 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dining disasters

Sorry to hear that you've not been happy with your dinners this week. On our 6 trips to Aruba we've tried many different places and enjoyed some meals more than others however I can honestly say I've never had anything really bad. Some of our favorites are Yemanja, Quinta del Carmen, Elements, West Deck, Amore Mio and Casa Tua for pizza, Azzurro for Italian, Chalet Suisse, El Gaucho, 2 Fools and A Bull and Passions. This year we tried to make a reservation at Fred's but they are on vacation the week we're going but we are planning to try Whilamena as I've read so many good things about it.

Mentioned in this post
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
Quinta del Carmen
Quinta del Carmen
1,258 Reviews
Aruba
The West Deck
The West Deck
2,128 Reviews
Aruba
Chalet Suisse
Chalet Suisse
1,685 Reviews
Aruba
NJ
Level Contributor
2,454 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dining disasters

We crossed Quinta Del Carmen off our list after a subpar meal last year. Crossed off Fishes & More a few years ago after subpar meals.

Mentioned in this post
Quinta del Carmen
Quinta del Carmen
1,258 Reviews
Aruba
Raleigh, NC
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos, Providenciales
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dining disasters

Only 2 places that we've been disappointed over the 7 trips to Aruba, were Azzurro's and Iguana Cantina. Over the years we had dined at Azzuro's 13 times. Iguana Cantina only twice. Sadly, both were due to absolutely horrendous wait service. Both restaurants are permanently off our restaurant list.

Sorry it happened to you multiple times on this trip.

Mentioned in this post
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
Iguana Cantina
Iguana Cantina
1,062 Reviews
Aruba
new york
Level Contributor
463 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dining disasters

We are done with Papillon and we’re not fans anymore of Madame Janettes due to poor service. Otherwise in 8 trips to Aruba we have been very pleased with our dining experiences more times than we were disappointed. Wilhelmina’s has become one of our favs since it opened a couple of years ago

Mentioned in this post
Papillon Restaurant
Papillon Restaurant
1,225 Reviews
Aruba
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
Wilhelmina Restaurant
Wilhelmina Restaurant
633 Reviews
Aruba
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
83 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dining disasters

Have always seen very mixed reviews for Buccaneers so we have never gone. 17+ trips to the island and we have never had a "dining disaster." We have had a few so so meals or service along the way that has made us think twice before going back to certain restaurants but those are expected. We have travelled to many other islands and places globally and consider ourselves truly blessed by the level of service and quality of food on Aruba. One of the many reasons we travel here regularly. Wilhelmina is one of our favorites also. This is a must for us every trip.

Mentioned in this post
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
Wilhelmina Restaurant
Wilhelmina Restaurant
633 Reviews
Aruba
Reply to: Dining disasters
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted