We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sargassum Seaweed

Lithonia, Georgia
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
19 helpful votes
Sargassum Seaweed

What is the status of the sargassum seaweed washing up.on the beaches in the Caribbean? Is there any in Aruba? How infested is the coastline of Aruba?

18 replies to this topic
England
Level Contributor
8 posts
124 reviews
92 helpful votes
11. Re: Sargassum Seaweed

What’s the Status of the Sargassum Invasion?

caribbeancompass.com/online/compass_online.p…

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
241 posts
12 reviews
11 helpful votes
12. Re: Sargassum Seaweed

NONE

Not a single bit of seaweed up or down Eagle, Manchebo, or Druid. Can’t speak to Palm, but doubt it. This is as of today.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
98 posts
9 reviews
4 helpful votes
13. Re: Sargassum Seaweed

There was none on Palm Beach a couple of weeks ago when I was there.

Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
246 posts
15 reviews
4 helpful votes
14. Re: Sargassum Seaweed

We just got back from Aruba yesterday and for the 8 days we were there, we visited almost every beach on the island and none at all.

Binghamton, New York
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
29 reviews
18 helpful votes
15. Re: Sargassum Seaweed

Hope you enjoyed your trip and your morning runs wildcat22. I expect a 10,000 word trip report by 5pm today!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
5 helpful votes
16. Re: Sargassum Seaweed

Hey guys, I know it's difficult to predict but thinking of going to Aruba next month around mid-September. Any updates on the Sargassum there now or around that time? Or certain beaches/areas that are unaffected? Thanks in advance.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
6,060 posts
13 reviews
32 helpful votes
17. Re: Sargassum Seaweed

There is NO seaweed I am here now and have walked many of the beaches....all looking great!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
18. Re: Sargassum Seaweed

We were there 16 days in July/August, noticed none at the 3 major resort beaches.

But from Arashi all around entire island to Sero Colorado where reefs aren’t able to block it, it was present in major quantities. Since those areas are front-on with the current most of the year. One place we thought we were stepping on sand with seaweed on top, but is was the opposite and we were sinking in. Had an unpleasant gaseous smell even with the breeze. When the current changes this fall I wouldn’t be surprised to see it collect on the resort sides.

It’s a nuisance and probably not the best for the ecology, but much less of an impact as negligent tourists

Reply to: Sargassum Seaweed
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted