We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Pineapple for Nov 2014

S Wales
Level Contributor
7 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Pineapple for Nov 2014

Hi

My husband & I are looking at the GP for Nov & a lot of the reviews sound lovely but am concerned that if it needed some renovating during 2013 & they are reluctant to do so in case Sandals 'make it over' completely, what will it be like by Nov 14?

I've read that it is owned by Sandals but not run as a Sandals hotel which is fine, but if we book now for the GP & they decide to upgrade it before we arrive, will our holiday stand at the price we paid or will they charge us more as it will then be run as a sandals resort or will they cancel it & make us change hotel/resort? We had a similar problem a few years back in Egypt where we ended up cancelling the holiday 2 months before we were due to leave.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
London, United...
Level Contributor
335 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Grand Pineapple for Nov 2014

AJNSPEAK - I did read the previous comments I was simply saying what I personally knew for sure and stating what I personally didn't know !!!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
623 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Grand Pineapple for Nov 2014

www.antiguanice.com/v2/client.php…

View this link to read about the new resort. It is a Beaches (owned) by sandals, it mentions "breaking ground" the middle of this year. I would follow the links and contact Beaches directly if you wish further details. They may offer discounts if construction is starting, but if it were me, I would go elsewhere,

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,396 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Grand Pineapple for Nov 2014

Melva - they plan to break ground in the middle of next year (as the article you reference states if you read it carefully). The resort will be closed completely before this happens.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
623 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Grand Pineapple for Nov 2014

I am correct here, Ms George. The article was dated December, 2013, and refers to next year, which is 2014.

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,396 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Grand Pineapple for Nov 2014

antiguaobserver.com/a-year-before-ground-bre…

Wallingford, CT
Level Contributor
159 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Grand Pineapple for Nov 2014

"The newly-announced property will become the fifth Beaches Resort in the Jamaican-based company's portfolio along with Beaches Barbados, which is set to break ground in the middle of next year..."--from Antiguanice.com

Beaches BARBADOS is the resort beaking ground in 2014.

So sorry to see Grand Pineapple go... Why, oh why, would anyone come to one of the loveliest beaches in the Caribbean to go ice skating or play video games all day?

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
30 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Grand Pineapple for Nov 2014

We have been told by a travel agent that they are taking bookings upto June 2015, so after that date I would suggest going somewhere else as work to commence shorty after.

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Grand Pineapple for Nov 2014

Well, I've just booked GP for my second and final visit in November this year.

We had the best holiday ever at the GP last November and when I saw all the posts about it being reborn as a massive Beaches resort in 2015 I thought we had better make the most of it!

19. Re: Grand Pineapple for Nov 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 13, 2015
Get answers to your questions about St. John's
Recent Conversations