We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help!!! Sandals resorts for wedding?

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
226 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Help!!! Sandals resorts for wedding?

Hi

We are looking at sandals resorts in either st Lucia or Antigua. Can anyone recommend either? We are from the UK, so ball park min price if that's ok?

Are sandals better than say, virgin, kuoni..for weddings? Or can any others be recommended?

I really want this to be special..looking to do 12 months from now but want to book within the next month or so. Any help much appreciated.

Thanks so much xx

Rachel

England
Level Contributor
831 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help!!! Sandals resorts for wedding?

Re prices, you will need to check with Sandals direct.

Sandals is a hotel/resort chain which markets just its own properties. Kuoni etc are companies who offer packages to lots of different hotels/resorts, so you cannot compare the two.

The best thing is to get some brochures, pick out some places which you like the look of, and then look at the reviews here on TA so that you can compare prices and facilities.

Hope that helps.

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,992 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help!!! Sandals resorts for wedding?

Both Kuoni and Virgin offer Sandals as one of their options - and at times their pricing will be better than that offered directly by Sandals.

Do look at other resorts as well - you can sometimes get a great deal more for your money, and a more special wedding experience, at some of the smaller, less formulaic resorts.

Portage, Michigan
Level Contributor
79 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help!!! Sandals resorts for wedding?

The Sandals on both islands are amazing! And they do a lovely job with weddings. From the basic free to the more elaborate customized. Pay as little or as much as your budget allows.

Definitely best to book with a Travel Agent and directly with Sandals. Sandals does not allow discounting other than their own special

Promotions. Any difference would be air or cost of insurance offered. Sandals will also offer you the most variety of activities, restaurants and room options. They can be a tricky beast given the wide variety, so make sure whomever you book with is very well versed in the resorts!

Good luck and congrats! You won't regret your decision.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for St. John's
Level Contributor
335 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help!!! Sandals resorts for wedding?

Yuna, if you book through Virgin/Kuoni or such like, they can not organise anything extra from what you could plan if you booked with Sandals direct. If this is your first time to Sandals then you won't have a problem in terms of claiming any "loyalty" points, as there won't be any, however in the past we have had difficulty claiming our loyalty points as returning guests with Virgin, it became a bit of a rigmaroll. Since then however we have always booked direct with Sandals and then booked our flights separately. Now that is not to say there is a problem booking flights along with the holiday with Sandals, it is just that we get staff discount withthe airline. If it is your first time to Sandals, I would go with whatever is best for yourself, i.e. Virgin/Kuoni/BA or Sandals direct, do bit of research for the best deal for you.

What I can tell you is St Lucia has three Sandals resorts but you can stay at one and play at all three so a huge choice of restaurants. We have been to all of them and quite honestly the downside for us on St Lucia is the awful minibus ride from the airport to the resort, after the long flight the last thing you want to do is sit in a cramped and stuffy minibus for nearly two hours. However there is the option of a helicopter ride from the airport to the resort, a lovely way to arrive and depart in style if funds allow. Unless things have changed though, the helicopter didn't fly on a Sunday which was our arrival and departure day unfortunately.

Antigua on the other hand has only one Sandals resort on the Island, however, it does have a large choice of restaurants aswell and the big plus for us is that the resort is only 15 mins ride from the airport.

We loved both Islands having been to St Lucia twice but will be returning to Antigua for the 7th time next January. I think from that you can decide which is our favourite. Sorry I have no experience of their wedding packages so can't comment on that aspect of the resorts.

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,992 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help!!! Sandals resorts for wedding?

Leslie - you still haven't answered the question about whether or not you're a travel agent.

If you are, you should know that the way things are booked from the UK is very different to the system for people travelling from North America, in that the majority of holidays are sold as packages - not least because unless you're lucky enough to have an airline employee discount, it's generally much cheaper. Airline points/ff programs are completely different, and of very little use to the majority of travellers, especially those looking to book holiday travel.

Very few UK travel agents have the opportunity to even visit, let alone spend much time in resorts themselves - the majority work in high street shops or on the end of a phone line promoting packages offered by major tour operators.

Portage, Michigan
Level Contributor
79 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help!!! Sandals resorts for wedding?

Sorry, I didnt see that question posed! Yes, I am; but do work with UK guests from time to time. Here in the states we book trips as packages as well, as it is typically the least expensive way to go. When working with those from other countries, they do choose to book their own air, so it has never been an issue. I do realize that pricing can be different, and sometimes Sandals runs sales there that they do not here. But, Sandals still does not allow discounting from other places (all must adhere to their pricing structure). Typically what they then are discounting is the air to circumvent the issue. Certainly not honest business practice, but done none the less. when I have booked guests from the UK, it was at a lower or comparable rate fromwhat they could get.

I am not soliciting business, simply answering questions and throwing out facts/options to ponder. the other thing that I have noticed when meeting people from the UK at the resorts, is that they are ill-prepared for their trip; meaning they have not been told much of anything! And that is a real shame. The more you know in advance, the more pleasant your experience can be, and the less you miss out on. Simply said, do your research or use a very experienced Travel Agent (regardless of where they are from).

And having organized many, many weddings thru Sandals, I can say (and not from a sales perspective at all) that they do a lovely job!

7. Re: Help!!! Sandals resorts for wedding?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 14, 2014