We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Considering Galley Bay - which room is best?

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
62 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Considering Galley Bay - which room is best?

My husband and I are considering Galley Bay for a trip in May to celebrate our 25th anniversary. I love the look of the Gauguin Cottages but I heard something about no bathroom in them! Is this true? Of the other accommodations, which is the best and which is closest to the beach/walkout onto the sand?

The other thing is that the package I'm looking at has no transfers included to/from the hotel. We've always had transfers included in the past when we've travelled, so any recommendations on who/what to book would be appreciated.

Thanks! Suzy

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,407 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Considering Galley Bay - which room is best?

The Gauguin Cottages have bathrooms but they are in a separate structures. Each "cottage" has a bedroom and a bathroom separated by a small breezeway. They also have their own private concealed patio with private plunge pool.

All other rooms at the resort are beachfront but some are second floor units with balconies and stairs leading directly to the beach. Ground floor units have door that open directly to the beach.

Go to the Galley Bay Website (www.galleybayresort.com) for complete descriptions of the various room options.

No need for "hotel transfers" - upon arrival at the airport simply take a taxi (there will be plenty waiting) to the resort.

Royal Tunbridge...
Level Contributor
503 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Considering Galley Bay - which room is best?

YES the Gauguin Cottages do have fully equipped Bathrooms { actually Showers not Baths]. Each "cottage" consists of 2 thatched Rondovals about 6' apart with a connecting roofed pathway.

One consists of the Airconned living / sleeping space and the other has the toilet facilities etc and wardrobes. All the cottages are effectively screened from each other by the dense tropical foliage surrounding them so you are never on show making a spirited dash across the gap in the middle of the night.

EVERY other room on the resort is literally ON the beach.

Look at the map on the website

http://www.galleybayresort.com/resortMap.htm

Starting at the top you have Ismay's Restaurant

Then Premier units #s 48 - 17. Look at the pictures; they are block built 2 up and 2 down and the most modern at the resort

Then we have single storey Deluxe #s 11-16 Perfectly comfortable but beginning to show their age. We have used them in each of the last 10 years and been very happy there.

Next are the Superiors #s 1-10. again single storey but smaller than the deluxe and with less amenity space.

After that you have the main complex [ Barefoot Grill; Teepee bar, Offices and Reception and the main Restaurant "Sea Grape".]

Then we have the 2 storey Deluxes # 49-72 which are smaller versions of the Premiers and of wooden construction rather than block built.

Finally another 4 Premier units #s 73-88

After that you have the Gauguin Restaurant.

Premiers are worth the extra but the rustic feel of the Gauguin cottages has many admirers.

Re the transfers. Unusual not to be included but DO NOT ask whoever is doing the package to sort it out for you. Taxi fares in Antigua are fixed by the Government and the fare from the Airport to Galley Bay are US$20 for up to 4 people in the one cab. I am aware of some travel agencies over here quoting US$ 20 per person or US$60 for a cab. Across the road from where you leave customs is an official Taxi Controllers stand and they are very efficient in organising the taxi guys. It seems to move about from 1 year to the next so it would be best if you asked anyone wearing a uniform of any sort to point it out to you. You could be asked to share with another couple which should be no real hardship since the journey only takes about 20 - 30 mins depending on traffic. That way you end up paying US$5 a head.

Make absolutely certain before you get in the cab that the Driver agrees the fare and that, when appropriate, the other couple are going to either Galley Bay or Hawksbill [ it's only about 1/4 mile away on the next bay.]

We'll be there 14 days starting 28th April so we might see you at the Teepee.

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
Stamford...
Level Contributor
12 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Considering Galley Bay - which room is best?

Just read this and many other threads that made my decision to try out GB. It looks to be right up our alley. Planning on April, possibly. I have wanted to go there for years, but, always ended up elsewhere. Some places numerous times, bc, we loved them so much. XRBC has been a wealth of info on many of the threads. Thanks for the great info everyone. Anything else I need to know?

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
62 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Considering Galley Bay - which room is best?

Thank you for all the great advice and information. I really appreciate it!

Suzy

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Considering Galley Bay - which room is best?

Hi Suzy,

Don't worry about Galley Bay, I have stayed here on three separate occasions in various rooms and loved them all. Galley Bay is a lovely resort and will not disappoint you. Have a great holiday

Dick.

6. Re: Considering Galley Bay - which room is best?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 25, 2014
Get answers to your questions about St. John's
Recent Conversations