We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandals...Any shade/umbrellas/palapas on beach?

Which St. John's hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
arkansas
Level Contributor
142 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Sandals...Any shade/umbrellas/palapas on beach?

I know this topic has posted before a couple of years or so ago but I wondered if there is any increase in the number of beach umbrellas or otherwise shade on the beach at Sandals Resort. I have has skin cancer and must be under shade as much as possible. Any response will be appreciated!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
14 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandals...Any shade/umbrellas/palapas on beach?

What dates will you be at the resort? I will be there in two weeks and will gladly inform you of the specifics as well as take photos of the beach accommodations . This of course will only be helpful if your trip is after January 26th.

I depart for a business trip to Little Rock and Conway AR tomorrow and was attended a wedding in Little Rock last weekend. The beach will be a welcome change from the cold and snow. I wish you all the best with your skin cancer.

Let me know if I may assist once I arrive.

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
508 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandals...Any shade/umbrellas/palapas on beach?

In August no problem getting a portable Cabana each day on beach, usually available until at least 9;00am.

However occupancy was about 50% or so...

arkansas
Level Contributor
142 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandals...Any shade/umbrellas/palapas on beach?

Thank you for your responses. We will be there late February.

ny
Level Contributor
288 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandals...Any shade/umbrellas/palapas on beach?

There re plenty of portable shade covers if Palapas are taken.i was there during Christmas and there was always availablity

I would not worry about it.if you have a Butler or tip soeone they will reserve the spot for you everyday.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
81 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandals...Any shade/umbrellas/palapas on beach?

We are going feb 20-27 when are you going?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
14 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandals...Any shade/umbrellas/palapas on beach?

I am departing from Sandals Grande Antigua today.

There were well nicely covered Beach chairs located directly on the beach as well as on just off of the beach. They were however limited in number and could only be pre-reserved by a Butler if you have a room category that provides this service.

I highly recommend Butler service as an upgraded amenity. Beach food and beverage service was available from the resort staff. There were Pool chairs with umbrellas and Full Cabanas available for rent at the additional rate of $99 per day.

I recommend arriving to the beach or pool early to reserve on your own.

I posted another blog today, which provided a detailed review of my observations and recommendations. Have Fun, bring lots of sunscreen and enjoy your vacation.

arkansas
Level Contributor
142 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandals...Any shade/umbrellas/palapas on beach?

Thank you easternairbrat for your response. I also read you pro/con review. Many good points! What about the cost of a butler? Can you add one when arrive? I am really concerned about having a shade on the beach. This is an award trip for my husband's business so I don't have any control over our room selection.

Thanks for any additional information.

Longport, New Jersey
Level Contributor
6 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sandals...Any shade/umbrellas/palapas on beach?

definitely had an issue with the butlers reserving all of the shaded areas- they tag them for their guests- they are pretty much gone by 9 a.m. (this was the case at Sandals MBJ and Whitehouse). If having a nice shaded spot is important, you are kind of forced into booking a butlered suite. I even watched a butler tell folks (who had gotten up early and claimed a shaded spot) to move as he needed the spot for his guests-this was last June at Sandals MBJ.

Edited: 4:21 pm, April 03, 2013
arkansas
Level Contributor
142 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sandals...Any shade/umbrellas/palapas on beach?

We actually completed our trip in late February. We didn't get up early to try to claim spots, instead we waited until afternoon and the shade was slightly easier to find. We saw many Cabanas and Umbrellas which were reserved all day and NEVER occupied. I do think that Sandals management should revise their policy regarding this!

West Newbury, Ma
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sandals...Any shade/umbrellas/palapas on beach?

Hi Zippycat Just got back April 1st...I did book a butler category and it was great. There was about 70% occupancy and one had to rise b4 640 am to get an umbrella at the pool. The beach was a little later but will depend on the occupancy rate on your week. I do have to tell you that the palapas and the portable tents still let sun in and if you have fearful of skin cancer--the only real option is to rent a pool cabana for the week. It is $99 per day but what is your life worth? It keep you in absolute shade and dry when there are torrential rain storms as we had for 1 day of our stay. It lasted all day! You can rent all week and rise when you want too--they are usually all stocked by 9am. A good option to is to get up at 6am (yes, seriously) and stake the chairs under a roofed open air section. If you get in the second row, you will have complete shade as well. I rise early so every other day, we rented a gazebo and the other days, I got up at 6am and staked out the roofed section. The pool and beach palapas still allow the sun to hit you for at least part of the day... When you get there--if you try to get a butler, they will allow you to get a butler suite but usually will tell you that at late date, a butler is not available. Hope this helps....