We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galley Bay Premium Beachfront WiFi

Which St. John's hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Galley Bay Premium Beachfront WiFi

Greetings...

My fiancée and I will be taking our honeymoon at Galley Bay in November and are beyond excited. As I am generally on a bit of the OCD side, I'd like to make the best possible room request.

I've seen tons of recommendations, but for us the best room would have good WiFi signal, as we both enjoy keeping in touch with the world while we relax.

I hear that some (maybe all?) of the premium beachfront rooms have been renovated recently - that'd be a plus too.

Finally, options for shade and proximity to the bar would be preferred, but to a lesser degree than WiFi.

She wants second floor, I'm leaning toward walk-out on the beach, but she'll probably win, and I'd best get used to it :)

Thanks!

Royal Tunbridge...
Level Contributor
503 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Galley Bay Premium Beachfront WiFi

OK. get the site map in front of you

galleybayresort.com/images/galleybaymap-larg…

Premiums to the left [ 17 - 48] are the newest builds and are very nice. 73 - 88 are older but similar style and have been renovated to a high standard. This is an ongoing project and they may have re done, say, 61 - 72 by November, but I do not know the plans.

" proximity to the bar " the Teepee [10am 'till late] is more or less in the centre of the beach front with Ismay's restaurant and the Gauguin equidistant at either end about 200 yds away. Call it a 5min walk at most from the furthest ends.

"options for shade". the resort is generally fairly shady thanks to the fab gardens and LOTS of palm trees. As far as the Premium units are concerned however, the upper rooms have great, but very open,balconies. Shade level Zero. The lower rooms have delightful little shady patios with day beds and nearly all of these rooms have their own Palapa out front on the beach with sun loungers underneath.

WI FI is the management's Bete Noire. I know they have tried just about everything over the last 6 or 7 years but this can be very patchy the further you get away from the library.

Bottom Line

GB is all about chill out and leaving the material world in it's place which is NOT the Caribbean. You will not see people with their cell phones glued to their ears, or their I Pads surgically attached. What you will find is nice people who will shoot the breeze with you and know when to give you space.

RELAX and enjoy

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Galley Bay Premium Beachfront WiFi

Thank you very much for that thoughtful reply. Rest assured that having a cell phone glued to my ear is the last thing we are looking for, but having the option to check email is appealing and if possible to do from some of the rooms but not others, it'd be a no brainier for us.

If going to the library is needed, so be it.

Sounds like the rooms toward the Ismay's end are universally endorsed, so I'll probably look toward that.

Any other first hand reports are definitely helpful. Thanks all!

3. Re: Galley Bay Premium Beachfront WiFi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:40 pm, June 21, 2013