We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental Antigua

Which St. John's hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario
Level Contributor
82 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental Antigua

We have rented a jeep from tropicalrentalsantigua.com for a day during our vacation.

Any insight on this company? All of our correspondence so far has been good and they seem like a good company.

We are looking to go for a tour of the island ourselves, leaving around 8am and being at Grand Pineapple for lunch sometime.

Any advice on how we should plan out our day,

What we are thinking is starting at Green Castle Hill, then Fig Tree Hill, Nelson's Doskyard and Shirely Heights and Half Moon Bay.

Then stopping for lunch at Grand Pineapple resort, Devil's bridge, Betty's Hope and possibly stopping in St. John's at the end for some shopping.

We are staying at Sandals.

Does this sound reasonalble or too much or not enough. Which sites need to have more time devoted to it?

Thanks,

England
Level Contributor
789 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental Antigua

That's quite a lot to fit into one day, unless you are happy to skedaddle through everywhere without looking around or taking time to enjoy the atmosphere.

Consider hiring a car for at least two days, and you'll have a much better time!

Ontario
Level Contributor
82 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental Antigua

We really don't want to go away from the resort for more than one day. Which ones would you think would be most memorable should we only be able to go to a few of them?

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,834 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental Antigua

I'd agree - that's a pretty tight schedule, and you won't really have any time to stop for a swim or a drink, and I suspect most things in town would be shut by the time you made it back.

As for the itinerary, Green Castle is a fair hike (I'm guessing you want to see the 'megaliths', which are not easy to find or reach), and won't add much to your tour. Check out one of the south west coast beaches - perhaps Valley Church, Darkwood or Turners. Fig Tree Drive is pretty - and it's worth stopping for a local juice and some pineapple on the way up. Have lunch in English Harbour - lots of great choices there - I can't think of any reason to eat at Pineapple unless you're using it as part of your AI deal, and I think you'd be very disappointed, then spend some time at Nelson's Dockyard before going on to Shirley Heights - perhaps even for the beautiful view at sunset.

For a second day, Devil's Bridge and Long Bay ( where you could have lunch at Mama Pasta or La La Tartaruga, both are a way better bet than Pineapple!) or go on to Half Moon Bay and either have a burger at Smiling Harry's Bar or try the excellent new restaurant at Nonsuch Bay. Betty's Hope, and then into town for shopping/sightseeing and an ice cream at Australian.

That's still leaving out a lot, but would be much more relaxing!

Arkansas, USA
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental Antigua

We just rented from Tropical Rentals and had no problems with them.

Ontario
Level Contributor
82 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental Antigua

We are back from our trip and we eneded up renting our Jeep Wrangler from tropical rentals and didn't have a problem. They dropped off the vehicle and picked it up from the resort.

We had a great day for travelling and saw Betty's Hope, Long Bay, Devil's brdige, Nelson's Dockyard, Shirley Heights, drove through the rainforest and stopped in St. John's and then headed home. It was s full day but nice.

The historic presentation atop Shirley Heights was very nice as was the view.

Celle, Germany
Level Contributor
4,584 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental Antigua

Travel_bum8

Are you going to do a trip report, would be great to hear what you got up too. Have you done any reviews on where you stayed, restaurants or places you visited, would be keen to read about them, seeing as you are fresh back!

Ontario
Level Contributor
82 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental Antigua

My report for Sandals is still pending. We did not eat or stay anywhere elase except the resort. But I can say we thouroughly enjoyed our stay at Sandals.

The best sites on our tour included driving through the rainforest and Shirley HEights

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental Antigua

What rainforest? You mean the forest canopy?

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,834 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rental Antigua

The area known as the rain forest is the lushest, most densely vegetated part of the island. Many fruits are grown there - hence the name of the road that runs through it - Fig Tree Drive (figs are the local name for bananas). It's very different to other parts of the island, and well worth seeing.

Edmonton, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Rental Antigua

Is it possible to rent a large van and driver? What kind of rates per day?