We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping at Sandals Grande

nj
Level Contributor
266 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping at Sandals Grande

A friend of mine has been to this resort a few times, and told me that tipping is not acceptable. I'm very used to tipping waiters, bartenders, maids, bell boys, etc... for good service even at all inclusives. Any thoughts on this?

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
3,930 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping at Sandals Grande

This can be a very hot topic - some say yes, some say no. That being said......

Please do not tip anyone other than your butler (which I think you said you don't have on another thread) and the spa people. You are putting their jobs in danger if you tip them. We know of a bartender who was fired for accepting a tip.

If you choose to give a gift (say, to the housekeepers), please be sure to write a note with it, giving your name and room #, what the gift is, and to whom you were giving it. This way they can't be accused of stealing.

Tips are already included in your purchase price, and staff receive a percentage in their pay.

Have a wonderful trip!

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,703 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping at Sandals Grande

Winnekini is correct...Sandals is one of the all-inclusives who truly mean no tipping. And it is a hot topic as some people will insist on tipping discreetly no matter what. Just keep in mind that if someone is caught accepting a tip, they are at risk for discipline or termination. Sandals has a recognition program and it means the world to a staff member if you identify them as going above and beyond. We always ensure we write management a note to let them know about those staff who stood out in making our stay so enjoyable.

SURREY
Level Contributor
2,520 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping at Sandals Grande

omg cant believe this like u jerseygirls we have always tipped even in a/i this is going to be very strange for us

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,703 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping at Sandals Grande

jackie m...perhaps this will help ease your mind. Sandals staff take part in a profit sharing program from which they receive a gratuity based on a percentage of booked sales. So in essence, you really do provide a "tip"...it's just included in your booking! This ensures all staff are treated equally...from the front line such as bartenders and wait staff, to those you would probably never think to tip...such as the gardeners and staff who rake the beach, maintain the resort etc. It's a fair and equitable way to reward staff, not just those you see on a daily basis. Also, one of the very best ways to recognize those staff members who go above and beyond, is to ensure mgmt knows about them...Sandals has a recognition program and staff are very proud if they are nominated because of their great customer service.

Hope that info helps!

SURREY
Level Contributor
2,520 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping at Sandals Grande

travelpair55 thats a great idea never sort of looked at it this way like u say we dont tip gardeners even though everyone will make a comment about the grounds and how beautiful they are what a brillant idea

its still going to be very strange not carrying around any money for tips

so unless ur going off of the complex u dont need any money on you at all

then, as i have heard from a gentleman on here that even the shops have a no money policy and is charged to your rm

thank you for all that has let me know cause i would hate to be the cause of getting any member of staff dismissed

xx

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,703 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping at Sandals Grande

Yes, Sandals is a cashless resort...meaning you can make purchases simply by having them charged to your room (you will be given a Sandals id card to show at the resort shop, photo shop etc).

As mentioned above, butlers and spa staff can accept tips. You can tip butlers in cash if you wish (that's our preference) or add the gratuity to your credit card on check-out. At the Spa there is now a 12.5% service fee (gratuity split among Spa staff) and certainly it is your choice whether to show appreciation with an additional cash tip. You might also wish to have cash for the local vendor day when local craftsmen come to the resort to display and sell their wares.

We just love that our wallets are locked in the safe for almost the entire trip...such a sense of freedom to not carry a purse around!

Enjoy your stay!

7. Re: Tipping at Sandals Grande

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, July 23, 2013