We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin Atlantic flights to Antigua

Which St. John's hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Linolnshire
Level Contributor
177 posts
139 reviews
Save Topic
Virgin Atlantic flights to Antigua

Has anyone flown with Virgin to Antigua recently? Was the aircraft one of the newer in the fleet with the new seats in premium economy and the vport entertainment system?

We flew with them last year and were lucky enough to be one of the first few flights allowed once the airports re opened after the volcanic ash cloud restrictions were lifted. However when another passenger comented on the 'tatty' appearence of the interior of the aircraft they were told it usually operated the Orlando route and consequently had been battered slightly by lots of children! The individual handset controls for the entertainment system on the upper deck didnt work and some of the seats didnt move.

On the return the entertainment system didnt work at all and once again we heard people complaining about seats not moving and a couple complaining about rips in their seats.

I guess the important thing is that the airline and aircraft get you there safely but i just wondered if anyone has had a better experience recently, we fly back to Antigua with Virgin Atlantic for our holiday in 8 weeks.

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,782 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
81. Re: Virgin Atlantic flights to Antigua

You poor things - double whammy of bad flight stuff then :(

Derbyshire Dame
Level Contributor
423 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
82. Re: Virgin Atlantic flights to Antigua

Yep! Where was the promised luxury leather seating? Scratchy, dirty old red fabric was what we got. P E Breakfast? Ha, what a joke, an omlette and paper cup of lukewarm tea...no juice, no fruit, no muffin. There was no ice cream during the evening film,no handcream in the loo, all in all it was VERY poor for the extra money we paid.

essex england
Level Contributor
258 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
83. Re: Virgin Atlantic flights to Antigua

Have things improved since these comments were posted in 2012??!! We are flying out in march 2013 and most of the 82 replies were damning. We are flying via Barbados if that makes a difference with the planes. Update me please so my wife and I can look forward to our flight instead of fear and trepidation and .....can the planes really be so tatty and the crew so unprofessional and un-caring? Hope not!

Derbyshire Dame
Level Contributor
423 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
84. Re: Virgin Atlantic flights to Antigua

Unfortunately Virgina Plain is still in the Virgin fleet and last flew to Barbados on 10th January.

You can see what it's up to if you go to

v-flyer.com/the-toolbox/aircraft-database

Scoll down until you get to Virginia Plain [G-VTOP]

THT

W-D

Norfolk
Level Contributor
55 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
85. Re: Virgin Atlantic flights to Antigua

We are in antigua now and flew from Gatwick on 25 Jan with virgin premium economy and I am pleased to say it was one the refurbished planes, although the plane we were going on was changed at the last minute due to technical problems and this one had a different seat configuration so we lost our seat reservations.

The seats were much more comfortable, the meals and service were also better.I,m hoping it will be the same on the return journey.

Derbyshire Dame
Level Contributor
423 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
86. Re: Virgin Atlantic flights to Antigua

WHEW, am so relieved for you that you did not have to fly on that pitiful, disgusting excuse for a Virgin aeroplane

Regards

W-D

East Sussex
Level Contributor
16 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
87. Re: Virgin Atlantic flights to Antigua

Anyone else flown from gatwick to Antigua recently, we have booked premium economy for march 2013 and am hoping that all the planes have been refurbished?

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,782 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
88. Re: Virgin Atlantic flights to Antigua

I was told recently that by then, all flights should be on refurbished planes. Hope so, as I couldn't get PE seats for a flight then.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
102 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
89. Re: Virgin Atlantic flights to Antigua

We flew to Barbados and back in January in Premium and had refurbed planes on both legs. We were in the bubble on the way out and in the cabin downstairs on the return. Having flown on the old planes the previous two years it was a much better experience. Crew were also a lot better, particularly on the return leg. Didn't have to suffer the lecture this time about not drinking too much alcohol as an excuse not to have a drinks service before the main meal, which they didn't the previous two years.

Still preferred the bubble to the downstairs cabin.

Food was fine. Entertainment much improved.

Chipping Norton...
Level Contributor
516 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
90. Re: Virgin Atlantic flights to Antigua

Last November both outward and return flights were on refurbished planes. They were much more comfortable than the old ones!

We flew economy and thought there seemed to be a bit more room than previously. It also helped that the flight was anything but full on the way back so we were able to have 3 seats for 2 of us. (After take-off cabin crew actually went round and asked people if they wanted to move seats to get more space.) Our only gripe was that they ran out of our choice of menu before they got to us.........but the alternatives were perfectly ok (for airline food).