We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos!!!!

London
4 posts
Save Topic
Mosquitos!!!!

Hi Travellers,

I'm going to St James's Club on 25th Oct 2007.... someone told me to watch out for the mosquitos as they got bitten real bad...they got back today 15th Oct 2007

Anyone share the same experience?

UK
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitos!!!!

Take lots of OFF from Boots and spray yourself around 4 pm, mosquitos particularly love hiding under tables and chairs and attacking your feet, ankles and knee so spray these well! I am afraid mosquitos are all over the Caribbean (and in Suffolk and Norfolk too), so go prepared. If you stay somewhere breezy like the east or north coast they are not so bad. Sadly St James is south. However your won't catch malaria!

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitos!!!!

Hi

I agree with ajnspeak reply about taking lots of bug spray or else buy Off when you are there, it is very good.

The one point I disagree with is the part about no breeze in the south, in fact there is plenty of breeze, thats why Falmouth and English Harbour are so great for sailing. Just make sure that where you are is not in the lea of a hill and make use of the cooling winds.

London
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitos!!!!

OH Man, I hope this does not ruin the honeymoon, i hate mosquitos and they seems to like my blood.... I'll take lots of mosquito spray, I take it thte hotel rooms are safe then, just the out doors...

Thanks for both of your advice

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitos!!!!

I returned from Antigua a couple of weeks ago, and for the first week I got eaten alive...and they can up in great big lumps like you wouldnt believe.

What I would recommend along with the repellant is a big tube of antihistomine (if thats how you spell it) usually when i get bitten it takes weeks to clear up, however with this they had gone by the time I came home

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
London
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitos!!!!

Oh no!!!! This is gonna ruin my honeymoon, I hate mossies, I really do.... I cant even cancel flights now... Oh well will have to vear with it.

What time of day was it and had it rained when you got bitten? All week, gosh that must have put a dampner on your break?

UK
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitos!!!!

I am sorry, if mosquitos are such an issue for you why did you chose a tropical country? Everywhere in the tropics has mosquitos.

Rosarito, Mexico
Level Contributor
13 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitos!!!!

I am on the island now and the mosquitoes can be mean, especially around the ankles and legs. Something that works great is to start the day by spraying mosquito spray on my legs and ankles, then rub it in with my hands and wash my hands well. That keeps me pretty well protected for the whole day! If you can find it, Ultrathon by 3M is excellent and does not have much smell so once you rub it in, you won't notice it. This is nicer than having slick, sticky spray sitting on your skin when you spray it on AFTER you have started getting attacked.

Have a wonderful honeymoon. Antigua is a great island and the people are sooooo nice.

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
London
Level Contributor
51 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitos!!!!

Went to St James Club in July, only two bites in 14 days, Enjoy

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
267 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquitos!!!!

Was at St James Club first week of October and it rained almost everyday so the Mosquitoes were out in full force. I had Off on and still got eaten, however, it did not ruin my vacation at all. I put some "Gold Bond" anti itch cream on them and voila - No more itch.

Helen

UK
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquitos!!!!

chunni,

When you do go to Boots to stock up then compare their own brand with OFF! Boots own has a higher Deet content I believe.

My wife gets bitten, I don't. She took some cream and some spray. Also we always buy Soltan from Boots too, you can get it with a built in repellent. Keep your doors shut and the room will be mozzy free. If you do get bitten over there the hotel shop should sell anti-itch stuff or just pick some aloe. It's everywhere.

Like a previous poster I do question your choice of the Caribbean if you are so worried about mosquitos.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Get answers to your questions about St. John's
Recent Conversations