We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

by ship

Iroquois County...
4 posts
Save Topic
by ship

We will be in Antigua in March, arriving by ship. What are the suggested excursions? Or, Is there shopping close to the port?

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: by ship

Shopping near the port ---you betcha! -about the only shops worth mentioning are right as you get off! the most expensive are nearest the ship,& the more interesting up back streets, so its worth mooching around, it's quite safe to wander but like any where don't advertise what may appear to be "wealth" too openly.

I advise that unless you are sure of what & where you are going take the trips offered by the ship --at least they WILL get you back on board!

Nelsons Dockyard is the most interesting & the view from Shirley heights spectacular, the Windmill is worth about 10 minutes if you are passing & Devils Bridge is only interesting if the sea is rough,last time I was there the "Rain Forest" had blown away!

The beaches however are fabulous, up by Jolly Beach & towards Cocos & beyond.

Mentioned in this post
Jolly Beach
Jolly Beach
143 Reviews
Antigua
COCOS Hotel Antigua
COCOS Hotel Antigua
901 Reviews
Antigua
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: by ship

Hi Losalady and Johnthedog

I am interested in your comments about only taking trips offered by the ship as others may not return you on time and wonder if you have specific evidence of this in Antigua.

As far as I am aware the taxi drivers in Antigua are professional and are well aware that ships have dead lines, I have never heard of a circumstance that they have not got back on time and 10s of 1000s of visitors use them each year.

For Losalady, it really depends on what you like doing, there are some good boat trips, you could get a taxi do some sightseeing, have lunch at a beach bar and go to one of Antiguas 365 beaches. Shopping is limited to a small area close to the port so you could combine shopping with something else.

Hope this helps - Mun

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: by ship

Mun:- no, not specifically in ANT but it does happen ,especially if you pick the wrong driver! this is unlikely in ANT due to your system of being directed to cabs at the terminal by a responsible person.

I suppose advising someone not to take local trips is not good for the economy, but then the ships use them but maybe don't pay as well!

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: by ship

Just get a cab and go. We have never had any problems getting back to the ship in time. In fact, most times, the cab driver will ask you what time you want him to pick you back up.

Lots of shopping in town that you can walk to. There is also a really cool old church you can walk to. You will see it up on the hill.

Beaches - Dickenson Bay is gorgeous. Lot of watersports and beautiful beach sand.

If you do want to do an excursion off the ship, then I recommend the 1/2 Wadadli Cat Snorkeling trip. This is the only onboard excursion we ever do since they take you out to the reefs where the snorkeling is really good.

But if you just want to relax, and do a little shopping, then I say grab a cab and go.

Have fun - we are 40 days and counting!!

Mentioned in this post
Dickenson Bay
Dickenson Bay
343 Reviews
Antigua
5. Re: by ship

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 pm, August 23, 2009
Get answers to your questions about St. John's
Recent Conversations