We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question for LookingforParadise

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Topic
Question for LookingforParadise

You have me hooked! What did you decide to do about your wedding? Are you still going to St James?

I think it's great that you and your mom flew down to check it out for yourself.

I know AirCanada is expensive but they offer a direct flight Toronto - Antigua nonstop and about 4 hours. What flight did you take that had you hopping around thru Miami etc?

Toronto, Canada
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Question for LookingforParadise

We did decide to book accomodation at the St. James's Club simply because it is such a large resort with multiple restaurants and 2 beaches. It looks like our group is growing and there might be 30 people or so attending the wedding. We wanted a place where everyone could still have a bit of privacy without feeling too overcrowded. Also, my fiance's family is VERY different from my family. Just in case everyone doesn't get along as well as we are hoping, a bit of space might be nice!!! Some of the more recent reviews of the St. James's Club have been more favourable so I am hoping that they continue.

We have decided, however, to forgo the wedding planner at the St. James's Club and get married at The Inn at English Harbour. The wedding I saw when I visited the island was perfect! Right down to the bride and her father arriving on the beach in a little boat decorated with palm fronds and flowers! I have been emailing questions back and forth with The Inn's wedding planner, Manuella, and she has been a gem! I have been able to arrange music for the ceremony and reception, the dinner menu, the service, flowers, cake, photographer. . . all via email and she has been very helpful. While the price tag continues to climb, a comparable wedding in Toronto would still be 10-fold the cost with many more guests!

My mother and I had to fly to Antigua on American Airlines because we travelled from a Thursday to a Monday. Air Canada does offer non-stop service but only as part of their vacation packages which run Saturday to Saturday. Unfortunately, we didn't have a week to spend on the island (although with a few more days, you can bet I would have seen the last 3 or 4 resorts we missed on our first tour!) When my fiance and I travel down for the wedding, we will also have to fly American as we are hoping to go a few days before our guests and take care of the necessary paperwork and wedding plans. I am hoping that they are able to make allowances for our luggage! Aside from our suitcases, we will have a wedding dress / suit bag, and I am hoping to bring down some "supplies" to assemble welcome baskets for our guests rooms.

I am feeling much more relieved now that the decision is made. I just have to keep my fingers crossed that all is well during hurricane season!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Question for LookingforParadise

LOOKING FOR PARADISE -

Glad to hear that you managed to get everything worked out OK.

Did you happen to see the trip review on tripadvisor?

English Harbour, Antigua: Inn at English Harbour: "Wedding at the Inn" March 27, 2005: A TripAdvisor Member, New York

They posted some pictures and the wedding looked wonderful!

I know you are planning on taking an AA flight but, just in case you are interested, Contintental offers a nonstop EWR (Newark) to ANU on Wednesdays as well as Saturday. I try to fly as direct as possible so am constantly scouting out direct routes. I haven't got US Airways quite figured out yet.....

As to weather in Nov, when I was there Nov 2004 it was a bit rainy and overcast but still nice and warm better than Canada in Nov that's for sure!!

Best wishes and try to post some pictures when you get home. I'd love to see how things turned out.

Toronto, Canada
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Question for LookingforParadise

Thank you for your referral to The Inn wedding review. That is actually the wedding that my mother and I witnessed when we were in Antigua and the wedding that sold us on The Inn! All of the details are falling into place with the help of Manuella at The Inn.

Get answers to your questions about Antigua