We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport to helipat from Pineapple

Brussels Belgium
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Transport to helipat from Pineapple

I am toying with the idea of booking a helcopter trip to Montserrat as my teenage daughter is mad about volcanos but am a little concerned for 3 reasons: 1) the price 2) we have only 1 week in Antigua and 3) how do I get from the two extreme opposites of the island without breaking an already broken bank! Help please! Many thanks.

Hya
Antigua
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport to helipat from Pineapple

Your daughter will be thrilled if you guys did that tour its a once in a lifetime kinda thing. You're quite right it is expensive to take a taxi it will cost approximatel US$84.00 round trip up to 4 people in the taxi. It may be more beneficial to rent a car for the day its pretty easy to get to the helicopter from Pineapple and the locals are always willing to help with directions. Renting a car may cost around the same including insurance and drivers permit, but you'll have the car for 24 hrs where you could also explore the island and do other things in that one day.The helicopter tour is only 45 minutes so you have the rest of the day to beach hop. car rental can be done at your hotel.

Hope this helps

Hyacinth

Brussels Belgium
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport to helipat from Pineapple

Many thanks Hyacinth! Guess we'll rent a car. Do you LIVE in Antigua?! Wow! What a thought! If you have the time, please could you also tell me if you think it would be a good idea to book before we leave home (as I said brfore, we have only 7 days in Antigua). I'm also worried about the weather at the end of Oct / beginning of Nov........lots of rain? Hurricanes?

Thanks!

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport to helipat from Pineapple

We Booked our tour right on-line at http://www.caribbeanhelicopters.net/. They had our reservation when we got there and we just paid for it. We did not know that our resort would also offer the tour. Price was the same either way. If you go to the website, you can see the cost for the trip. The tour is fantastic, one of the highlights of our week in Antigua. It was truly a once in a lifetime experience. Have fun.

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport to helipat from Pineapple

Soufriere (the volcano) became active again this past week. I honestly don't know if this affects the helicopter tours or not. As a pilot (but not of helicopters!) I would say it might. So be sure not to pay in advance for anything.

It is indeed an expensive tour, and I admire you for being willing to break the bank to take your daughter upon it. If you find it doesn't work for you, please be advised that you can see the volcano steaming away from the western side of Antigua. The beach at Calalloo would work----anywhere along there between Old Road Town and, say, Crab Hill. My favourite spot is to have lunch at OJ's on Crab Hill, toes in the sand, and watch Soufiere steam away. One can see from there how the volcano has affected the landscape on Montseratt.

Granted this is a view from 40 miles away and is no substitute for the helicopter. But it's a back-up-plan if the other doesn't work out.

Hya
Antigua
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport to helipat from Pineapple

Hi Belgeum Belle I do live in Antigua all my life. I have to agree with the cessnapilot it really isn't necesary for you to book in advance your hotel will be more than happy to make arrangements for you. As far as hurricane is concern we have been lucky for the past 7 yrs or so Antigua has not seen any hurricanes. Although we are still in the season I'm sure you'll be fine.

Take care

Hyacinth

Hya
Antigua
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport to helipat from Pineapple

Belgeum Belle you may also consider flying over to Monserrat via airplane and do an organized tour of the island with D& J forwarders which costs around US225.00 person which is about the same cost for the helocopter. This will get you closer to the whole area which your daughter will love.

Hope this helps

Hyacinth

Brussels Belgium
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport to helipat from Pineapple

Many thanks everyone for your invaluable contributions! I feel alot happier now I've read all your posts.Not long to wait now!!

All the Best,

Belle

8. Re: Transport to helipat from Pineapple

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 pm, August 20, 2009