We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single Female travelling to Antigua

TRAVEL4ONE
3 posts
Save Topic
Single Female travelling to Antigua

Hi

I hope you can help. My sister and I were planning to visit Antigua in August but now she can't make it and I would really love to go as it is where my parents are from. I have read all of the posts and it does seem like a very couples orientated location. Can anyone recommend any hotels\guest houses where I won't feel out of place. I plan to travel during the second week of August so would appreciate any replies. Thanks

saw
calgary
Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Single Female travelling to Antigua

I went to Antigua alone last August and loved it - I stayed at Hawksbill.It was true that it was mostly couples and families but I did not feel one bit out of place and felt very welcome. I was treated very well. The Antiguans are very friendly. I think you would find many resorts to be fine if you went alone but perhaps not Sandals or Galley Bay where most people did seem to be couples. Still I did meet a lot of couples and spent some time with them having dinner etc. I would very much recommend Antigua as a place to travel alone. I went on a few of the excursions and again I did not feel out of place at all. If you are looking to meet other singles it might not be the place for you ( but you did not say you were) but otherwise - Go to Antigua - I am sure you will love it.

TRAVEL4ONE
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Single Female travelling to Antigua

Thanks saw - much appreciated - I will check out the resort you recommended.

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Single Female travelling to Antigua

You could look at the Catamaran Hotel in Falmouth Harbour it is a small hotel run by a local family and there is a bar/restaurant nearby where a mix a mix of singles and couples hang out. It is a very friendly hotel.

Canada
Level Contributor
272 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Single Female travelling to Antigua

I agree with Saw when she says that Hawksbill might not be a good place to meet other singles if that is something you want to do. I think Jolly Beach Resort might be better for that. But at the same time I'm not sure if you would feel out of place there as a single woman travelling alone (though, if you're real friendly, lucky and want it to happen, being alone might not last too long).

So are you looking to meet other singles as well? (How old are you by the way? Some resorts are primarily older people.)

Also are you going to be spending a lot of time at the hotel/guest house?

TRAVEL4ONE
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Single Female travelling to Antigua

Hi

Thx for your reply. I am 34 years old and meeting someone is not really at the top of my priority list. Basically I didn't want to end up in a predominantly honeymooners hotel!! I probably won't spend too much time at the resort as I plan to explore the island and see if I can meet up with relatives.

6. Re: Single Female travelling to Antigua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, August 12, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Antigua