We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rum Tastings?

Preston
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Rum Tastings?

Hi,

I was wondering if any one could help me. I am trying to find out if there is anywhere that does an Antigua rum tasting session.

Thanks,

Jez

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,786 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rum Tastings?

Not sure about official tastings, but you'll find the most extraordinary range of rums at Papa Zouk - https:/…267410836665409 - along with some very good fish indeed

Preston
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rum Tastings?

Thanks. We visited Papa Zouks about 6 years ago (our first and last visit to Antigua) and it was great! I was just hoping to try a tasting more in line with a whisky tasting I would attend in Scotland. I.e. smaller measures with tasting notes,

Royal Tunbridge...
Level Contributor
503 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rum Tastings?

I have to say I am not aware of anything formal along the lines of the wine / whisky etc tasting evenings you regularly get in a good wine bar in England or the Scottish distilleries. Certainly I am sure that the Antigua Distillery has not done so in living memory.

However I believe there have been impromptu sessions like that down at Falmouth during Sailing Week [ Next year it is 26 April - 2 May ]. Should you be in Antigua at that time I would suggest you get down there anyway. Great Vibes and Party time every night. If a "Tasting Happening " was being planned the word would get around fairly quickly.

Preston
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rum Tastings?

I'll be there in November. Maybe I won't return to the U.K. and set up my Rum Tasting shack. ;-)

Indiana, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rum Tastings?

Get the rum-tasting shack set up before I get there in March! ha!

St. John's, Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rum Tastings?

I don't think there are any regular rum tasting sessions - but C&C Winebar in St. John's (the capital) has wine tastings, and they have an excellent selection of wines.

When you're finished you should also head down to the Australian ice cream place, located a stone's throw away and owned by the same people.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Rum Tastings?

I'm going to keep this rum brand PG-13.. But my husband and I went into St John's for a shopping day, and in the duty free area we tried "Big Black D**K" white chocolate flavored rum. My ONLY complaint is that we only brought back 1 bottle with us!! :( There is a whole story to the name of the rum, whether it's true or not, I can't say,,, But, they were offering free samples of every flavor they had and only the coconut disappointed.

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
3,897 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rum Tastings?

Kelinore - Was this in a specific shop? Do you remember the name of it? Sounds like it would be a fun place to stop - we will be a group of 4 couples the end of January, and was thinking we would all enjoy this.

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Antigua
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rum Tastings?

melchers.nl/distillery/big-black-dick.html

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Rum Tastings?

wow I never replied back. I got this in a duty-free store down at the port in downtown St. John's.