We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawksbill Resort

Toronto,ON
12 posts
Save Topic
Hawksbill Resort

We just got back from the Hawksbill resort. I'd be happy to answer any questions. We have written a review but it has not yet been posted!

MA
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hawksbill Resort

Hi Karena2,

I would love to know your opinion of Hawksbil, speficially the food and beaches. We are going there on July 3 and I'm hoping the beaches are pretty and the weather is nice. THe more info you can give me the better. Thanks so much!!

Jill

Scotland
Level Contributor
34 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hawksbill Resort

We spent 10 days there at the beginning of June and had a wonderful time. The resort is really quiet and very relaxing. The food was really nice, evening buffet twice weekly and at other times it was served up to you by the excellent friendly staff.

We stayed in a garden view bungalow which was clean and spacious. The linen was changed regularly and you could have fresh towels daily.

Beach towels are provided and there was no problem obtaining a lounger. The pool was rarely used. Most people preferred the beach or the gardens. Watch out for the small insects in the grass as they do tend to get everywhere.

Various watersports were available if you wish to be a bit active but generally this was low key.

The Hotel offers a shuttle taxi to St Johns, three times a week and to Shirley Heights on a Sunday. The cost of the return trip to St Johns was 16 US per couple. The trip takes about 10 mins. and you spend 3 hours approx. there. St Johns was busy as there was a cruise ship in town. You will get asked by numerous taxi drivers if you would like a tour of the Island but a polite refusal is readily accepted by them. A taxi will cost you about 15 US one way if you wish to spend longer there.

Evening entertainment could have been a bit better but some nights the bands were great and everyone was dancing. Beware of the Managers cocktail party- the rum punch was lethal!

You are a bit isolated at Hawksbill but a taxi can easily be obtained. There is no regular bus service.

In conclusion- there are loads of repeat customers which speaks for itself, we had a fantastic holiday- hope you do too.

Toronto,ON
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hawksbill Resort

Hi Jill,

Our review has now been posted.

There are 4 beaches at Hawksbill, the 1st is a bit rocky, the 2nd is where the watersports are, the third is quiet and the 4th is a clothing optional beach. The water is clear and refreshing - not a soupy body temperature water like you can find in Florida sometimes! There are no large waves and the snorkeling is great.

There are pedal boats, kayaks, and sunfish sailing.

There are ample loungers. The resort was not at capacity and quite often we were the only ones on the main beach. There are lots of palms, almond trees etc around for shade as well.

When you are at the beach you do not see any other resorts or hear any noise from them - there is the occasional jet ski but that is about it.

At the entrance to the resort at the top of the hill you can see the Galley Bay resort.

The weather was great! It is actually hotter in Toronto than it is there! There is a constant breeze and you do not get the whole sticky/humid thing going on! The heat hits you when you get to the airport but you will be comfortable. We did have teh occasional rain - lasting only a few minutes - we did have 1 day of a bit more rain however that was due to hurricane Alberto - but it was more on and off throughout the day so it wasn't a total right off.

Definately pack an umbrella!!! We did use ours !!!

We stayed in an air conditioned beachfront unit and it was great. If you know your room type perhaps I can give you more info.

The food was great. Ok - I know that is so subjective! My husband and I eat a medium to high end restaurants and we were not disappointed. I was actually quite surprised at the quality and consistancy of the food. There is buffet 2 nights - International and Caribbean - and a beach BBQ - followed by a la carte for the other evenings.

Breakfast: cooked to order pancakes, omlettes, french toast - fruit, cereals, make your own toast, muffins, bacon, sausages, potatoes etc

Lunch: you can either order from a menu or go to their grill and salad bar - hotdogs, fries, hamburgers, chicken, and fish (catch of the day!)

Dinner: always a selection of beef/fish/chicken and vegetarian

Don't miss: Antiguan Black Pineapple - sweeter than what we get here! Ice cream - made on the island and served quite a bit - flavours vary daily!!

You are also allowed to eat any fruit from the gardens - cherries, mangos etc - I was so sad not to get a mango as they were still green :(

Be sure to do the garden tour as you will learn a lot about the property!

If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

I hope this helps!

One other thing - we were the only Canadians there - there was a smattering of Americans but it was mostly people from the UK and Germany - it was a very interesting crowd. There was alsoa wedding while we were there - very nicely done.

MA
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hawksbill Resort

Thank you so much for your response, it was extremely helpful. We are going to be staying in a superior seaview room. Anything you can tell me about it would be wonderful. Also, is it buggy on the hotel grounds? Would you reccomend renting a car, Ive heard from other forum users that it is quite isolated. Thanks again!

Jill

Toronto,ON
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hawksbill Resort

Hi Jill,

We both did get a few bug bites. However, we never saw what bit us! There weren't any mosquitos buzzing around so perhaps it was sand flies that got us. I got a few bites about my ankles and on my arms. We did use Off repellant one or twice but the bugs didn't really 'bug' us! They did spray/fog the property while we were there and they do post signs as to when they are doing it.

They did mention not to step on large ant hills and not to be surprised if we saw tarantulas - yes we saw in total 2 for the entire week. They also have mongoose on the property and they are quite funny to watch. There are tons and tons of birds - the restaurants are all open - and at night there is a symphony of tree frogs etc.

As far as your room goes, you should be in 1 of the 2 main buildings on the watersports/main beach or in 1 story bungalow units on the same beach - these units have I believe 4 units together. You will get a nice terrace with chairs and a table for these units. There are large balconies for the main building.

If you have made any requests, e-mail or call the hotel to confirm as we asked for a king bed and didn't receive it. We later checked and the hotel had no record for the request. I believe that you can do a virtual tour of your room from the expedia link on the Hawksbill page of this site.

Fyi - we have submitted photos with our review but they have not posted them yet!

The sand on the beach is great - no seaweed or sharp shells!

As for driving - take a look at some of the other postings on the forum. Remember - they drive on the opposite side of the road so it can be a bit unsettling at first! For people from the UK this is not an issue! Depending on what you want to see and do a car could be a good choice. There is a taxi stand and a car rental at the resort. The taxi rates are set rates - however, the drivers can also be used as tour guides for an additional fee. There is a shuttle to St. John's from the hotel for $9 US per person round trip - it leaves at 9 am and you are back at noon. The roads are pretty good but you will need a good map as road signage is not always clear but you can always ask the locals! Be prepared to stop for lots of goats, donkeys etc roaming the roads!

I hope this helps! Feel free to ask me anything else! I wish I were going back!!!!

6. Re: Hawksbill Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, August 15, 2009