We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Comparison w/Bermuda, Bahamas

9 posts
Save Topic
Comparison w/Bermuda, Bahamas

How does Antigua compare with Bermuda and the Bahamas. Those are the two Caribbean islands we've been to in the past - we loved Bermuda but would like to try something different and Antigua sounds interesting - any comments? Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
Bermuda
Bermuda
Caribbean
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Comparison w/Bermuda, Bahamas

Gosh, they're so different they are practically different planets! I haven't been to the Bahamas in eons, but I go to Bermuda frequently and so can do the comparison on that at least:

Bermuda is formal, British. Antigua became independent from Britain 25 years ago and retains little of its British flavour. Bermuda is 22 miles long by....one and a half miles, maybe; Antigua is 108 square miles. Antigua is mountainous (volcanic), Bermuda and particularly the Bahamas are flat. Bermuda you can scooter around in a day (and indeed are not even allowed to rent a car); in Antigua you would rent a car or get a taxi driver (if you wished to explore), motorscooters are practically non-existent (except for those with a death-wish!). Antigua has dozens of beaches (other posters will take exception to this----I know, I know, Antigua has 365 beaches but tourists rarely see more than 10 or so). Unlike Bermuda, there is still some poverty in Antigua, particularly in St. Johns. You also will never wear a tie in Antigua, it is MUCH more casual than Bermuda.

Hmm, what else? You didn't mention where you like to stay in Bermuda. Antigua has all kinds of resorts, from the all-inclusive to older and more refined places, as well as many private homes for rent. However, they don't have the guest house/small inn type accommodations I have occasionally used in Bermuda. I would say the weather is more reliable in Antigua; also MUCH hotter particularly in the winter (with the heat made nicely bearable by sea breezes). If you like the golf and tennis in Bermuda, forget Antigua......there are just a couple of golf courses (neither great) and it is WAY too hot for tennis in my opinion, although one can always find a few die-hards.

Antigua doesn't have that ordered feeling that Bermuda has----most of the villages are not "neat". Depending on where you have been in the Bahamas, you may know what I mean. It is much more Caribbean in feel (personally, I don't consider Bermuda to be Caribbean; Bahamas either for that matter).

All that being said, you mentioned you'd like something different, and Antigua may be a fit for you. I have owned a home there for over two decades, so obviously I love it. It is a very safe island. I do think that various people experience Antigua very very differently depending on where they stay----which often drives what they do.

I might be able to be more help if you can be more specific on what you like most about Bermuda and the Bahamas.

Mentioned in this post
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
Bermuda
Bermuda
Caribbean
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Comparison w/Bermuda, Bahamas

Thanks for the detailed information. It actually does sound great (the more casual, the better!) Thanks, again.

3. Re: Comparison w/Bermuda, Bahamas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:24 am, August 12, 2009