We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scuba at Galley Bay?

Melbourne Florida
Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Scuba at Galley Bay?

Was wondering idf there is Scuba available at the hotel? I understand that it is extra cost but is it worth it?? Do they pick you up at the hotel??

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scuba at Galley Bay?

If Galley Bay does offer scuba, it would be with an outside contractor and they would arrange for you to be picked up at the hotel.

As to "worth it"...to my mind, no. The coral in Antigua has taken some big hits over the years (hurricanes plus man-made issues) and is mostly dead. The fish are OK (both numbers and beauty-wise), but it is not what I would call a great dive location. That being said, visibility is decent (60-100 feet) with water around 25 degrees Celcius. If you are an experienced diver, there are a couple of wrecks which I would say offer the most interesting and worthwhile diving and are worth the trip.

The PADI location I have used is Ultramarine Antigua. Their phone and fax number is 268-562-5062 (that's from the U.S. When in Antigua, the local number is 463-DIVE). They have a website, I think....try www.ultramarinescuba.com.

Melbourne Florida
Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scuba at Galley Bay?

Thanks a lot Cessnaman

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scuba at Galley Bay?

Actually it's Cessnawoman, but what the heck!

Melbourne Florida
Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scuba at Galley Bay?

Cessnapilot so sorry . No slight intended.

Antigua
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Scuba at Galley Bay?

If memory serves me right, I think that Galley Bay uses Dive Antigua which means that you'd be diving the North and/or West coast. And like cessnapilot mentioned, our reefs are not in good condition.

It's fair to say that the best diving is the South-east coast (English / Falmouth Harbour). This is where Ultramarine dives and they operate out of the St. James Club. Other dive ops in the area are AntiguaScuba (wwww.antiguascuba.com) and Aquanaut (email: aquanaut@candw.ag) which are also PADI shops. I've not used Ultramarine as, well to be honest, they are more expensive than the other two for a dive.

You should check with all of them and see who is offering dive&transport packages. This way, you'll catch a break on the taxi fare which will be approx 70 USD r/t.

Melbourne Florida
Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scuba at Galley Bay?

Thanks AnuGal, you've been a great help

7. Re: Scuba at Galley Bay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 am, August 15, 2009