We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best beach for a day

usa
Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best beach for a day

Hi, we are young 50's. day off from small sailing ship, docking near Falmouth. Looking to spend time on a beach with chairs, drinks, food and a laid back vibe. Don't need a million things to do just chill.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

England
Level Contributor
850 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best beach for a day

I recommend Galleon Beach. You can either take a taxi there or walk through Nelson's Dockyard and catch the water taxi across to Galleon.

Calabash is a great laid-back restaurant, right in the middle of the beach, and you can rent sun loungers. Lovely swimming and gorgeous setting. There is also the restaurant at the Inn at English Harbour on the beach, but the food is not as good IMHO.

Another option is Pigeon Beach, but we have had an awful meal at the cafe there in the past.

usa
Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best beach for a day

Thank you, sounds nice.

usa
Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best beach for a day

Don't mind taking taxi or rental car to explore other beaches as well. Any other suggestions??

HDH
Saundersfoot...
Level Contributor
511 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best beach for a day

Id suggest Long Bay then you would see a little more of the island - plenty of places to eat , more choice .

Best beaxh is Half Moon but nothing really around there so woul her to bring your own picnic

Regards Helen

usa
Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best beach for a day

Thank you.

I was wondering any imput on Fryes, Driftwood or Turners? From the reviews it looks like Dickenson gets a lot of cruise ship groups. Would like something not too bustling. Galleon and pigeon look good as well.

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best beach for a day

Ffryes, Darkwood and Turners are consecutive beaches along the lovely West coast, and are all beautiful. Ffryes has a restaurant (Dennis) on the hill above the beach, Darkwood has a great local beach bar/restaurant and Turners has a number of eateries, starting with Gibsons, then OJ's, then Keyonna and finally Turners Beach Bar. Darkwood is my personal favourite of these.

They're nowhere near Falmouth, and a good half hour's drive to get there. Some pretty scenery on the way though, through the small rain forest (pick up some local black pineapple for a real treat), and past Cades Reef. You'd reach Turners first, and then Darkwood with Ffryes just around the corner (by road anyway).

These are lovely spots, and are my personal stamping grounds, but I'd happily endorse the recommendation for Galleon Beach, not just because it's far more convenient, but because it really is a lovely spot. You can take a water taxi across to Nelson's Dockyard or over to Slipway if you want a bit more than just the beach.

usa
Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best beach for a day

Mizgeorge, thank you for the complete info. I didn't realize it was quite that far to those beaches. We will probably stay nearer to Falmouth where our boat will be docked. Any good restaurant recommendations for that area?

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best beach for a day

I like Calabash at Galleon for a beach restaurant. Otherwise, I've never been disappointed by Catherine's Cafe at Antigua Slipway (very close by). There are lots of options for food and drink in Falmouth / English Harbour

9. Re: Best beach for a day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 23, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Antigua