We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency Exchange/Duty Free

Grimsby, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Currency Exchange/Duty Free

Hey folks! We're staying @ Halcyon Cove week of Feb. 9/2013. Wondering what's best: 1) exchange Cndn $ to USD here in Canada before we go or exchange @ the resort or bank? 2) Where are prices best prices to purchase alcohol to bring home - duty free on the way there, shops there or duty free on way home? Any of that info would be greatly appreciated! :)

Royal Tunbridge...
Level Contributor
503 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency Exchange/Duty Free

Hi,

1] Probably best to get get your US$ before you go and you can top that up at one of the Banks in St John's. Remember both RBC and Scotia have branches in St John's. You are not too far from town so it would be fairly simple to pop in to get some more on your card. US$ are widely accepted but be aware that you will nearly always get your change in EC$. and any such currency you are left with at the end of the vacation is best handed out to the staff by way of tips. Rates when you get back will only be worth about half.

NEVER change currency at the hotel; rates will be a major "rip off".

2] I really have no idea what liquor prices are in Canada so I cannot be very helpful on that question. I only ever bring back Rum in which I can get quality stuff at about US$10 - 15. I THINK that CC or Scotch retails in the Supermarkets and St John's duty Free at roughly the same amount for a Litre bottle. Hopefully someone who buys Scotch or Brandy can better advise you.

Do not wait until you get to the Airport Duty Free on the way back. Both of the liqour franchises charge 20% -30% more than their shops in town do!!

2. Re: Currency Exchange/Duty Free

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 04, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Antigua