We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Trip to Antigua

Brampton, ON
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
First Trip to Antigua

Been to Jamaica 8 times, looking to go to Antigua for the first time and staying at Jolly Beach. Some general questions I have:

- anyone thats been to Jamaica and Antigua - how do they compare (I know size wise they are very different - what about the feel, people, food, music, beaches)?

- does Jolly Beach have wifi (free or at cost)?

- main thing I'm interested in is what is walkable distance from Jolly Beach - ive read about a marina - what about a town or other areas to walk to?

- which excursions do you recommend? since the island is so small are there excursions that basically cover the island in a day so you can see a bit of everything?

Thanks in advance for any advice for this first timer.

London, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First Trip to Antigua

Hi

I was in Antigua two years ago and was staying in Dickenson Bay which is the other side of St Johns from Jolly Beach.

I can't personally comment on the hotel myself but a couple I know stayed there and really enjoyed it and yes there is a marina nearby I believe with shops, bars places to eat.

I really would recommend the round the island tour on a boat called the excellence, it circumnavigates the island and stops at a real small deserted island where you have lunch and can snorkel around the pristine reefs. This excursion was quite inexpensive and drinks / lunch were included in the price.

I would also recommend the Jeep Safari, this was run from St Johns and took you on a good tour of the island stopping at Nelsons Bay and also including Kayaking around mangroves and snorkelling after a very fast ride in a skiff out to another deserted island. Great way to see the island and meet a lot of interesting people.

On Sunday afternoon / evening you can go up to Shirley's Heights, the site of an old colonial fort at one of the highest points on the island. You get a great view at sunset all the way out to Monserat. There's live music from a steel band and later a live reggae band, barbecue (very nice) and of course lots of rum (vitamin R)

It's a lovely island and you'll come back feeling so chilled out

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Trip to Antigua

One thing you can do much easier in Antigua than in Jamaica is rent a car and drive yourself around. I'd suggest doing that for at least a day or two. One day go south and east - stop at some beaches, head up Fig Tree Drive, visit Nelson's Dockyard and Shirley Heights. Second day go north and west - St. John's, Dickenson Bay, maybe over to Long Bay and Devil's Bridge.

Brampton, ON
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Trip to Antigua

thanks for the quick responses!

another question - is barbuda easy/affordable to get to for a day? what would the cost of this be and is it worth it?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
1,176 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Trip to Antigua

Dreamin, when will you be at Jolly Beach..we are planning our escape now too

Brampton, ON
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Trip to Antigua

looking at end of november/first week of december...you? have you been before, lollygal?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
1,176 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Trip to Antigua

Me too!! No this is my first trip to Antigua..I am looking forward to it.

Brampton, ON
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Trip to Antigua

just read some of your other posts - looks like we may be there the same week! im getting excited reading about it all, but waiting for the price to drop a bit before we book.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
1,176 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Trip to Antigua

Good luck---hope to see you on the island!

Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Trip to Antigua

Great suggestions. We leave on Wednesday and will definitely try some of the trips you suggest. We are staying at blue waters. Can't wait!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
1,176 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Trip to Antigua

Please come back and give us a trip report when you get back--have fun!