We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All inclusives on best beach area close to snorkeling

WI
Level Contributor
100 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
All inclusives on best beach area close to snorkeling

We are a 50s something couple looking for an all inclusive destination on a beach. We are not big partiers preferring the sounds of the ocean and nature. We have never been to Antigua and don't know which area to focus on. Can anyone recommend some good properties to consider for a mid April 2013 week?

St. John's, Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,081 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: All inclusives on best beach area close to snorkeling

The best hotel would be Grand Pineapple Beach which is situated on Long Bay. Verandah is also there if you're more upmarket, and is a couple minutes walk from Long Bay

Apparently Deep Bay has decent snorkelling, and you can get an all inclusive on a beautiful, often near deserted beach

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,860 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All inclusives on best beach area close to snorkeling

I think Coconut Beach Club might suit you. Close to Deep Bay, which as DTG says has good snorkelling, and a quieter resort than the big AIs. Another good alternative would be Cocobay - there's a bit of snorkelling at Darkwood (the next beach along from Ffryes, where Cocobay is located).

South Wales
Level Contributor
943 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: All inclusives on best beach area close to snorkeling

Just got back from Grand Pineapple and the snorkeling is not good. Also hotel is not what I would call quiet.

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
2,172 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: All inclusives on best beach area close to snorkeling

There is no really great snorkeling in Antigua. Is that a "must have"?

UK/Antigua
Destination Expert
for St. John's, Antigua
Level Contributor
5,860 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: All inclusives on best beach area close to snorkeling

The snorkelling at Long Bay is OK - best at the opposite end of the beach to GPB though.

There are some good spots, but most are offshore and you can't easily get to them without a boat (or on a boat trip).

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: All inclusives on best beach area close to snorkeling

Hi debs

Just wondered about your comment about GPB not being quiet ! does that mean in the hotel or quiet for rooms? Or did you mean it had some activities?

x

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: All inclusives on best beach area close to snorkeling

also what about snorkelling as elsewhere it mentions the far end of the bay but suspect you went on a cat tour so could you comment on this?

ontario, canada
Level Contributor
302 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: All inclusives on best beach area close to snorkeling

I would suggest Coco Point Lodge in Barbuda for you. We found snorkelling to be decent there as well as seeing so much just walking along the extremely quiet beach. No nightlife...just chatting before or after dinner with other guest. Pure heaven!

South Wales
Level Contributor
943 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: All inclusives on best beach area close to snorkeling

I am posting a review today but to answer your question, we were in a beachfront room which was pretty quiet but I wouldn't want to have paid to be in an oceanfront room as they are above the pool area ( and bar at night ) and the constant music and smell of chips would have driven me mad!

I get very seasick so always snorkel off the beach. We snorkeled all over - both to the left and the right of the bay - and there was mostly nothing to be seen.... I would not call it ok even at best. A couple of people that we met said that there used to be more pelicans seen in the bay but they have all but disappeared apart from a couple due to the lack of fish!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: All inclusives on best beach area close to snorkeling

There is definitely good snorkelling to be found at Long Bay, but you do need to be patient and look around. We found two marvellous brain corals towards the middle of the bay buzzing with activity and tons fish, as well spotting two rays on the bottom in a deeper part of the lagoon.

Get answers to your questions about Antigua