We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP! Antigua for snobs.

new orleans...
Level Contributor
36 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
HELP! Antigua for snobs.

So, my older cousins want to take us to the Caribbean for a holiday and they are on the snooty side. I would choose Bermuda but it is too cold in February. I heard that Antigua may fit the bill. Where would you suggest I reserve a room at a hotel which is not outrageously expensive (no marble envelpoed four seasons spa type place), dressy in the evening, tranquil but with a nice bar, no kids under 12, and with a nice beach? Is there even anything in Antigua which would comply? They do like Harbour Island in the Bahamas which is up there alley with a Nantucket/ Caribbean feel but I want to go somewhere else perhaps.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Harbour Island
Harbour Island
Out Islands
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
26 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP! Antigua for snobs.

carlisle bay

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP! Antigua for snobs.

If you like high end Harbour Island / Bermuda/ Nantucket feel, I do not recommend Carlisle Bay..Curtain Bluff all the way IF you still choose Antigua....I have summered in Nantucket and been to Bermuda over 20 times...Curtain Bluff has the same sort of club like feel...

Mentioned in this post
Harbour Island
Harbour Island
Out Islands
Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP! Antigua for snobs.

Carlisle Bay is aspiring to snobbishness, but I've heard some VERY mixed reports and thus would avoid it. I have to agree....Curtain Bluff is one of the oldest spots on the island and so is reliably consistent.

What I'd REALLY recommend though is that you rent a house. Since there are a few of you, I bet you will find the cost per person isn't horrifying. Most if not all rental homes come with maid service, and the maid will cook breakfast and lunches, plus leave dinner in the fridge if you desire.

You can stay in some REALLY classy places this way (my own comes to mind, <grin>), go out to the nicest places on the island for dinner, but not be, as you say, enveloped in a white marble spa.

Orbitz is a good website for Antigua villas and houses. Also try Caribrep Villas, (268)-463-2070.

Almost every rental agency that does villas will recommend St. James Club Villas and Jolly Harbour Villas because there are just so many of them that there are always many available and they are aggressively pushed by the rental brokers. While they can be very nice, in your case I would avoid both of these and go for a house. You might consider Emerald Cove.

new orleans...
Level Contributor
36 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP! Antigua for snobs.

Thanks. These are all extremely helpul hints. I will check out Curtain bluff as welll as a house to rent. Too bad about the mixed reviews with Carslyle Bay. It seems rather posh and even fun but the price, whew!

Thanks for the responses..

Canada
Level Contributor
272 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP! Antigua for snobs.

Michael,

I'm not sure what others have heard, but the reviews (especially the most recent) of Carlisle Bay are execellent. Take a look. It's a recently built resort, and whatever kinks it may have had may have been ironed out by now. Some are saying it is one of the best resorts in the Caribbean.

But about the children issue, I see reviewers talking about having their young kids along, so the no-kid-under-12 rule doesn't seem to apply.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Get answers to your questions about Antigua