We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prices??

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
155 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Prices??

Hi all,

I was wanting to get some info on $$$.. What should we expect to spend on food for groceries, decent restraunts, car rental, overall price for the island. Another quick question what is the best location to stay on the island?? All advice would greatly be appreciated.

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prices??

Look on Antigua Nice website it has a lot of info on there. Re best location, depends what you want on your hols e.g luxurious, al inclusive, self catering, we stayed at Catamaran Hotel in falmouth harbour, you can walk to English Harbour and there are a couple of supermarkets there, also cafe, bars etc at english harbour.

Wisconsin
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Prices??

We just returned from a week at Dickenson Bay Cottages - self catering with a short walk to the beach. We had breakfast and snacks in the room and went out for dinner each night. Groceries are fairly expensive, but still better than 2-3 meals out each day. We were family of 5 and dinners always ran about $100/night for a casual meal. There are three restaurants within walking distance of our hotel. Car rental would have cost about $80/day for us, including the temporary permit. Dickenson Bay is extremely clean and convenient to water sports, and long walks. We loved where we stayed because you could be in the sun at the beach and take a break in the shade back at the hotel. We found it the most economical place - if that's what you're looking for. We weren't in the market for luxury or fine dining so it worked out beautifully.

Canada
Level Contributor
272 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Prices??

In Antigua there are no income taxes (at least not yet) and so a lot of the government income comes through import duties. With that said, you can expect to find imported things to be a little -- and sometimes a lot -- more expensive. Additionally, some of the best deals are not in the best locations. (The cheapest supermarker (I can't remember the name) is a dump.) But you can try Epicurean, which I find to be reasonally priced, as far as Antiguan prices go, and it is well-known and fairly clean. It is located at Woods Mall on Friars Hill Road.

About car rentals I want to correct something VacaFamily said. He or she was probably quoted a 1-day rate with the licence fee. But: 1) the fee is a one-time thing, unless you are renting for more than 3 months (how long the licence is valid for) and 2) the 1-day rate is usually higher than the daily rate (i.e. if you take the car for more than 1 consecutive day). The daily rates for basic cars are $40-50 and the weekly rates are $240-80 (more during busy times, eg. Sailing Week).