We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How good is Sandals Antigua??

Texas
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
How good is Sandals Antigua??

I posted this question earlier, but didn't get much of a response, so will try again:

I'm planning a trip to Antigua in December with a group of three couples. I can't tell by the reviews, but is Sandals a good resort to stay in, or should I think about another resort? I'm interested in all-inclusive style only. The reviews of Sandals are tending to sway me away to a different resort.

What is the "real deal" regarding Sandals? Is it a 'yes' or 'no' place to think about?

nc
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How good is Sandals Antigua??

I would steer clear of Antigua. I just got

back. We did not stay at Sandals but I saw

it from a Catamaran and the dump we stayed

in looked a lot nicer... Don't go....

You need to go to Cancun, Jamaica, Nassau,

or do a cruise......

Texas
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How good is Sandals Antigua??

wtwc,

can you be a bit more specific? What "dump" did you stay at? What's wrong with Antigua? What did you notice about Sandals that made you write what you did?

Fallston, MD
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How good is Sandals Antigua??

Your very first "post" ... 'wtwc' ... and you make it both negative and ambiguous.

Welcome to the forum.

Now, please take the time to come back and let others know what "dump" it was that you stayed at . . . . and WHY you felt this way ?

Texas
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How good is Sandals Antigua??

...and in any case, can anyone answer the original question?? Thanks!

Toronto Ont Canada
Level Contributor
130 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How good is Sandals Antigua??

Hello,

Okay first I want to start off by saying that I am a picky person & when I pay 5 star price I expect 5 Star Service food ect.

we payed for a Premium room when we arrived we were upgraded to a deluxe luxury suite. In my opinion the rooms were old & very small & desperately needed updating however the room was clean & you dont spend much time in them so you cant really focus on that too much. All the rooms are the same just the location changes we were very close to the main building & pool & beach. Dont spend a fortune on the room in my opinion but dont expect the world. We were not close to the construction but even when we were lieing on the beach or walking the premisis you could barely tell there was construction going on ...this is the least of your worries...just request a room away from construction before you leave. The food was great lots of selection & quality was good....not home cooking but good Reservations can be tricky your best bet is to give the guy at the desk 20.00 & he will book all your reservations one shot. The pools are small but nice & clean from what we saw we spent every day in the ocean. The beach is to die for....BEAUTIFUL clean & the water so calm that it looks like a post card...make sure to enjoy it. As for the shade on the beach ..there are not alot of umbrellas so get up early or put your towel on two chairs at about 12:00pm the sun is very strong there and you will definetly need shade !!! I tan well & love the sun but I was running for shade.Going all inclusive is the best way to go...or you will pay a fortune everything is expensive so I would'nt recommend it plus the drinks would add up. The entertainment was okay. they had steel drum bands, singers, fire eating, Newleywed Games, the best is Saturday night they have a BBQ right on the beach & set up tables on the beach then they have games & then a steel band it was really nice & romantic.

All in all I loved Antigua & you will find all the people really friendly. I fell in love with the beach & the ocean. The resort was okay probably a low 4 star I wish we would of went next year and stayed in the new sandals which looks like it will be beautiful or if I had money to blow I would stay at Gumby Resort (on it's own island next door to Oprah's house...or maybe Jolly Beach.

But we made the best of it and enjoyed so much we would definetly go back to Antigua but stay at a newer resort, but after taking a Catamaran around the entire island and seeing all the resorts Sandals was one of the nicest & definetly Cleanest Beach with calm waters & beautiful colour. No real new resorts that were just beautiful ..sandals was nice just old. When you read the reviews and get such different opinions it's beacuse some people are going there and booking the grand Honeymoon suite or higher which is like a small cottage either along the beach or on the grounds with a private plunge pool & buttler so they feel more of the 5 star service because they are being pampered ny their buttler but in the end they lie on the same beach eat the same food.

oh lobster is not on the menu but you can have it at any restaurant just request lobster when making your reservation. and they are strict about dress code in the evening. Men must have a shirt with a colar.

Any other info I may of missed ??? Or have any other questions ask away....

Enjoy your trip.

Lina

LinaParis74@hotmail.com

Canada
Level Contributor
272 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How good is Sandals Antigua??

PARIS23,

You comment about the beach at Sandals being the nicest especially got my attention.

I don't think you can make a good judgment by looking out from a boat at other beaches.

The beach there is nice, to be sure, but it is by far not the nicest. Did you visit Darkwood, Halfmoon Bay and the one just after Jolly Beach Resort (just to name a few)?

I doubt that many people who have visited these beaches would agree with you.

Toronto Ont Canada
Level Contributor
130 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How good is Sandals Antigua??

Yes I did visit those beaches I also walked and swam in many of them and they too were nice but I am giving my opinion overall both Resort & beach combination. And in my opinion Sandals & Jolly Beach were the best as far as resort & Beach.

Toronto Ont Canada
Level Contributor
130 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How good is Sandals Antigua??

Sandals Antigua is on Dickenson's Bay which is rated 1 of the top 10 Beaches in the world. The sand is fine white & clean the water is a beautiful in colour & very very calm and crystal clear. Sandals Antigua also has a very large stretch of beach.

Texas
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How good is Sandals Antigua??

Thanks for the information! If the construction isn't done by December, which side of the resort should I get a room on?

Anything else I should be aware of in relation to Sandals in Antigua?

Toronto Ont Canada
Level Contributor
130 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How good is Sandals Antigua??

Hello

the construction is off the property ...so when your looking at the resort it's on your left side closest to the main pool so ask to be placed in a room away from the construction but trust me at the stage of work they are at you dont hear much noise at all.

Like I said before Sandals is nice it's just older so it is in need of remodelling thats why they are building the new resort then once that opens they will close down the older section and remodel that too.

Enjoy yourself just dont expect a brand new 5 Star resort & dont focus on the room it's just to slep in as long as it is clean your fine and our room was.