We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galley Bay

Philadelphia
1 post
Save Topic
Galley Bay

Has anyone ever stayed at Galley Bay. I am in the process of booking a very expensive vacation and am afraid this might not be as nice as I thought. It is my 50 birthday and our 25 th weddning anniversary. This is our first trip anywhere, we wnated to do it right. We won't ever be able to pay for another vacation and want this to be the best.

Caledon, Ont.
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Galley Bay

We have just returned March 12/06 and can honestly say that this is the best all-inclusive that we have ever been to. It is first class in our minds from the wonderful staff to gorgeous grounds, breathtaking beach and water, fabulous food and very quiet, relaxing, and romantic ambience. We have heard that it is the best on the Island and we concur. It will be your best vacation. Bring your bug spray with deet and use it, mosquitoes are a problem all over the Island. That is the only negative but you would get that anywhere you stay on Antigua. It is not a rah rah place. No kids and no big whooped di doo at the pool for example but that is not what we wanted. More people go here in the 50 and up category but there were some honeymooners also. The staff are so friendly and helpful and know your name within 10 minutes of you being there. We stayed in the Gaugin cottages (we were 2 couples) and we would do that again. Loved the privacy and our own private plunge pool. However, a lot of people like the beachfront rooms, views are definately out of this world. Go with confidence, you'll love it.

Lynn,

Toronto, Ont.

oxfordshire UK
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Galley Bay

My Wife and I went to Galley Bay last year for our 25th anniv [which they ignored despite my telling the agent and the hotel at least three times] ..so just to warn you [and anybody else, actually] that only the most expensive rooms have glass in their windows; unbelievably the others do not. So the bugs get in; the noise of the sea/frogs gets in; the smoke from the early morning bonfires gets in; noise from revellers gets in; the air from the air con gets out as the hot air blows in... So unless you can afford the top rooms - I mean above the superior and deluxe level - you will find your windows are only wooden slats. Without a doubt though, the restaurants -particularlythe Gaugin are superb. The sea was very rough in November though, and swimming was impossible. We transferred to St James's Club, very big and quite impersonal, and 'kids allowed' but at least we could swim there...

Channel Islands
Level Contributor
6 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Galley Bay

If you want the perfect holiday especially for a special occasion you just have to go the Blue Waters Hotel. It has its own private beaches is set in a fabulous spot on the north of the island and is a small (60 rooms) luxury hotel. Very quiet and private with hardly any children! although I think there would be a few during school vacation time. I am in my 50's and most of the other guests are mainly 40's to 50's with a few older thrown in for good measure.

We have stayed there twice - last time in early March and can't wait to return.

We visited Galley Bay and I have to say the beach is awful with no shade umbrellas, very little water sport activity and coarse sand. The swimming did not look at all inviting. Beware also the mosquitos. The hotel is set beside a large lake which is a breeding ground for mossies.

Good luck and have a good holiday

13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Galley Bay

"nicko2" nice add for blue waters...i really dont think they need your help...nor does galley bay need your bashing....mosquitos only live at galley bay on anu? hmmm, interesting!

nevertheless, you may be right for this couple..blue waters may be more appropriate

Derbyshire England
Level Contributor
414 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Galley Bay

Nicko2

You are quite wrong about the beach at Galley Bay, there is a sun lounger for every single guest along with a shade for every 2 sunbeds...........

not sure what part of the beach you were looking at??

The lagoon faces away from all the accomodation, and the only time I got bitten in Antigua, was in a taxi going to St Johns!!

Each to their own Nicko....I loved it so much. I've booked to go back again this year....

I must admit though, we did upgrade our deluxe rrom to an ocean view suite(complete with glass).....and had a fab time....

Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
381 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Galley Bay

I think you might like Sandals better even though there is a new section being added. It is couples only, no kids, more restaurants and a better beach and I think it will cost you much less.

If money is no object I hear Jumby Bay is the best.

Get answers to your questions about Antigua