We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jumby Bay - any tips or advice?

Worcester
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Jumby Bay - any tips or advice?

My partner and I have booked 2 weeks in Jumby Bay in late May/early June. We are staying in an Oceanview room.

I've read lots of reviews about it and they are mixed but people seem to love it or hate it, no in between! Firstly, I know that night life is practically non-existent which is great by me. I know that this is the Caribbean version of luxury and not Dubai's. All we want is a relaxing holiday in beautiful surroundings, a lovely room, gorgeous food and excellent service.

If anyone has any advice or just wants to tell me their experience of Jumby bay I'd be really, really grateful

Thanks

Hatfield...
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jumby Bay - any tips or advice?

beachbabe, Jumby is a Caribbean first class experience (as you noted, not by World standards) and is very pleasant. Since you're going for 2 weeks, I'd recommend doing a couple of day trips to Antigua or Barbuda to enrich your experience. Barbuda is a wonderful day to spend beach combing, as the beaches there are truly superior to anything Jumby, or eben Antigua, can provide. Maybe do a helicopter tour of Montserrat.

For a wonderful day experience on Antigua, and IF they're still open at that time of year, make reservations for lunch at Harmony Hall on the east coast. Arrive early to browse their art gallery, spend a couple of hours over a multi-course lunch overlooking a bluff, and then take their complimentary shuttle to Green Island for snorkeling. Harmony Hall is only open Novemeber through May, but not the entire months of November and May. You may just be able to get there before closing for the low season.

If you go over to www.fodors.com and click on the Caribbean Travel Talk, you'll find many enthusiastic posters for Jumby Bay. Maybe give that site a spin to get suggestions from folks who know Jumby really well.

Worcester
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jumby Bay - any tips or advice?

Thanks ej, that's fantastic advice, I'm please I posted. I'll definately try the restaurant and the Barbuda trip, sounds fab!

Cape Elizabeth...
Destination Expert
for Portland, Antigua
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jumby Bay - any tips or advice?

1) Bring credit card

2) Seriously, bring.....ok, you get the point. It is not clear to me from your initial question (because you say, "I know that night life is practically non-existent") that you know for sure that Jumby Bay is a boat-ride away from even the little night life that there is on Antigua. Jumby Bay is on Long Island, and there is NO night life there other than what Jumby provides.

Jumby is a truly lovely place....but understand you are away from the "mainland"....such as that is!

Greensboro North...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Jumby Bay - any tips or advice?

How did you decide what room catagory to book. Am going in September and don't know whether to go for the deluxe courtyard suite or the rondevel???? Any tips from those that have been, only going for 5 nights maybe 6.....thanks

Worcester
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jumby Bay - any tips or advice?

Just looked at brochures and website. The basic oceanview suite looked nice enough and anyway we'll be spending most of the time on the beach or away from the room. We're also going for 2 weeks so it would have worked out quite a lot more expensive to upgrade.

turkey
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Jumby Bay - any tips or advice?

carolinatrvl

definitely book for a rondavel if you are going for 5-6 days and ask for an ocean view one. Stayed in one of them last June for our honeymoon and it was quite nice with outdoor showers etc.

The food is very tasty and so were the cocktails.

It is nice not to think about where to eat (only two restaurants, one for lunch and one for dinner) or how much you would pay for it.

We have also witnessed a turtle laying eggs!!!

Get answers to your questions about Antigua