We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

grand pineapple is not like butlins!!!!!

Ashford, United...
Level Contributor
298 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
grand pineapple is not like butlins!!!!!

anyone who is off to grand pineapple, and has just read the last review please do not be worried, gpb is a lovely place and has one of the best beaches in antigua, how any one can compare this to butlins is beyond beleif.

Hatfield...
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: grand pineapple is not like butlins!!!!!

I'm not off to Antigua, but I am curious what Butlins is. I can get the gist from the context, but I've now seen several Brits make comparisons to Butlins. Can someone please enlighten this Yank?

Fallston, MD
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: grand pineapple is not like butlins!!!!!

Emily,

Even Butlins gets mixed reviews.

www.butlinsonline.co.uk/index.cfm?page=2076

However, I gather it has some "special" meaning to those from the UK.

Cheers,

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: grand pineapple is not like butlins!!!!!

Butlins is a holiday camp with people staying in blocks of very basic chalets style rooms. It has a funfair and entertainment put on for kids. I have never been there but it would be the last place I would have a holiday. No way can Grand Pineapple beach be compared to it.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
226 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: grand pineapple is not like butlins!!!!!

Butlins is a British seaside-based holiday camp which started back in the 50s or 60s. It used to be rows of small chalets but is now appartments and even a hotel (in the shape of a luxury liner). Most of the entertainment is included in the price, including kids adventure playgrounds, karting tracks, circus acts, pantos, evening entertainment (sometimes even famous people). Restaurants are available on site - ranging from fish and chips to gourmet food.

The staff all wear red coats (and are known as red coats).

I have been to Butlins and we all had a great time although I hardly think it compares to the Caribbean in any way, shape or form.