We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valley Church Beach, Antigua

South Carolina
Level Contributor
7 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Valley Church Beach, Antigua

A couple of questions about Valley Church Beach, Antigua - We will be arriving for a day on a cruise ship and would like to visit this beach.

1) any idea how long a cab ride, how much, do they wait for you? Alternative transportation to that beach?

2) Are there lounge chairs and umbrellas to rent? How much?

3) Beach bar for food/refreshments nearby? Can you go in with swimsuits? Need coverups/shoes?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Gambrills, Maryland
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Valley Church Beach, Antigua

I just went there last month while I was on a cruise.

1.) The cab ride is about 15 & 20 minutes. The cabs are all vans that seat six to eight people. They want to fill their vans, so as soon as you get off the ship, tell the cab driver you want to go to Valley Church Beach and they kindly ask you to wait while they gather a few more people going to Valley Church Beach to fill their cab. It will cost $6 per person one way ($12 per person round trip). If you choose not to wait for the people, the cab driver will ask you to pay $36 total. If you know others that are going to this beach on the cruise, get together with them beforehand so you won't have to wait. My wife and I only had to wait about 10mins when we got off the ship and we had enough people to fill our cab. I would not explore any more alternative modes of transportation to the beach because cabs are plentiful. You'll see a ton of them just waiting for you to get off the ship to give you a ride in their cab. When you get to the beach, the cab drive will ask you what time you want him to come back to drive you back to the ship. They will be back to take you back because it's their livelihood. Tourism is their only industry so they depend on it. Remember though, their time is one hour different than the ship time. When you tell the cab driver to come back and get you, they will come back on their time, not ship time.

2.) Lounge chairs and umbrellas are for rent. My wife and I got two chairs and an umbrella for $20 total. As soon as you get out of the cab, you'll see people waiting there to offer you chairs and umbrellas. They'll take your chair where you want to sit on the beach and if you don't want to sit under of the already planted umbrellas, they'll go where you choose and plant it for you.

3.) There is a beach bar right on the beach called the Nest. You can go in with swimsuits, you don't need to wear shoes or coverups. There is also a grill stand that serves barbeque chicken and salad and other grilled foods. The food is great. A little pricey, but good. A barbeque chicken sandwich for example was $12. The local beer is good though. It was $3 a beer.

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Valley Church Beach, Antigua

20 min taxi. You could also take the bus for much less. There r chairs and umbrellas, very casual, and a beach bar and restaurant there.

Tacoma, Washington
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Valley Church Beach, Antigua

We stopped in Antigua for a day on our cruise, and simply had a tour driver take us on a short tour around part of the Island that morning. We asked him if he could stop at a beach for us, and he recommended Valley Church as being the best. Since I had already read this to be true prior, I was delighted he was planning to take us there. He dropped us off, and we decided on a time when he would return for us. Since he had not been paid for our tour yet, he was there promptly when he said he would be to pick us up. I have to admit, the beach was everything I had dreamed it would be and I highly recommend this beach to others who are planning a quick day trip from a cruise. There is plenty of time to see a little of the island and spend a couple of hours at the beach before heading back to the ship. There was a place to eat there which had a small bathroom and chairs and umbrellas for rent. Definitely a must when cruising to Antigua.

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Valley Church Beach, Antigua

I've been pining after a return to Antigua (my last trip here was in 2008!), and one of my favourite memories is of our afternoon spent on Valley Church beach. We took an island tour, and we stopped here on our way back to our hotel. I have yet to see a beach that can compete with the beatuty of this one (and Ive been to the Seychelles, Mauritius, Great Barrier Reef and many other equally incredible beach destinations). When we visited, myself, my friend and our tour guide were the only people on the beach for miles - no exaggeration. After an hour or so another couple arrived at the bar for a rum punch, and a local fishing for conch were the only other living souls we encountered.

As has been mentioned, the colour of the water was unbelievable, an almost flourescent turquoise, the likes of which Ive never seen anywhere else. This, coupled with the immaculate powder white sand and incredible views have ensured it has remained my favourite beach to this day.

I only hope that when I finally get back there, it's as I remember!

The one minor downfall of this beach was that, when we visited, there were a lot of jellyfish which meant it wasn't great for swimming. Season and weather dependant though, and would in no way deter me from re-visiting it.

Ontario
Level Contributor
87 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Valley Church Beach, Antigua

My family of 7 is planning on visiting this beach in February 2014 .. $6 pp each way for taxi fare seems like a lot of money ($84 round trip) just to get to a beach for the day .. Is there any way the price would be reduced because of the size of our party? Would it not be more economical to take the bus?

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Valley Church Beach, Antigua

mizgeorge mentioned (on page 2) some intrusive works at Ffryes beach. We're off Cocobay Resort in a couple of weeks and were looking to Ffryes as a "retreat" beach, so we now have some concerns.

Could anyone give us an update please? There has been no mention of this on the Cocobay reviews so hopefully it's not too bad.

Los Angeles...
1 post
Save Reply
37. Re: Valley Church Beach, Antigua

I just got back from a So. Caribbean cruise. We went to Valley Church Beach on our day in Antigua. It was our favorite beach by far. And we did take the bus there. The bus station is located across the street from St. John's market (short walk from where the cruise ship docks ~ just ask any local for directions). It cost $1.50 per person each way.

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Valley Church Beach, Antigua

We just went to Valley Church Beach last week. The Nest restaurant is still open. They serve burgers, sandwiches and good blended drinks. The beach sand is coarse with lots of shell particles. It's very beautiful, just no soft sand. We rented two chairs for $5 each and an umbrella for $10. Well worth the money. The sun was intense even in April. We paid $15 per person each way in a well air conditioned van.

sussex
Level Contributor
479 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Valley Church Beach, Antigua

One of our favourite beaches but not on a cruise ship day as it's packed! Food lovely especially the coconut shrimps !!

London
Level Contributor
591 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Valley Church Beach, Antigua

It is a lovely beach, but we went down last week intending to stay for the day but the volume of music blaring out was ridiculous, so we moved on. Not been back as getting great atmos from Ffryes and Turners without crazy volume GRIFF