We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Antigua- poverty

RICHMOND VA
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Antigua- poverty

I am just starting to look at Antigua as an option for a trip in March. We would rent a villa and a car and snorkel at every opportunity.

Is there extreme poverty, safety concerns, health concerns...

We have been spoiled by 6 wonderful trips to the Caymans, St. Maarten,and the Bahamas.I'm trying to see how the island compares to what we have been used to. Some sites I've seen refer to Antigua as peaceful, friendly, and easy to get around in. Others describe it as a 3rd world country with extreme wealth and extreme poverty. Which is right?

Lake District, UK
Level Contributor
851 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Antigua- poverty

I'd say both statements are true to an extent. The local people are not well off, but are comfortable, happy and proud to be Antiguan. You will see goats in the streets and other things that you would associate with poor countries, but not extreme poverty or starvation. Be friendy, not aloof, to the locals and they'll welcome you.

Of course, there are also some very rich people too, but the wealth is not 'in your face'.

RICHMOND VA
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Antigua- poverty

Thanks. In St. Maarten there were dogs everywhere and many goats crossing the road! I'm not the "5 star" type, but I don't want to have to worry about myself or my kids being targets.

Lake District, UK
Level Contributor
851 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Antigua- poverty

Crime in Antigua is not a big issue, but take the same precautions you would anywhere else. Stay away from back streets and other deserted places, including beaches, at night.

Maidstone Kent
Level Contributor
41 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Antigua- poverty

Been to Antigua three times in recent years. It's a great island. I would call it pleasant without being posh. I'm sure there is some poverty but it is not obvious.

It is a peacefull island with great beaches, little crime and friendly people.

I think you will enjoy it.