We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aruba vs. Antigua

Iowa
2 posts
Save Topic
Aruba vs. Antigua

My husband and I are trying to plan a winter vacation. Our first visit to the caribbean was last year to Aruba. We absolutely loved it and would like to try a new island this year. Can anyone compare the two islands or give me a bit of advice where to stay in Antigua or any other perfect place you have been in the caribbean. We are 28 & 30, have no children with us, love a great meal and fabulous wines, and maybe a little steel drum bands, oh and of course the perfect beach. Thank you so much in advance for your time and responses!! :-)

St Petersburg, FL
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Aruba vs. Antigua

Well ok .... Antigua is "not" the place to go for food. It "is" the place to go for a beautiful beach however. I have been there 4 times now and would highly recommend it if you are looking to get away from it all. It does not have the night life like some of the other islands. Sunday nights are really great at "Shirley Heights" near English Harbor. I don't know your price range for accomodations but I would recommend staying near English Harbor or Johnson's Point at Rex Blue Heron Resort as they are just now going through a renovation and are quite reasonable for an all-inclusive resort and on a wonderful beach! They have pretty good food too. Check out "Abracadabara" in English Harbor and there are some other "cool" night hang outs down there. Last week in April is "Sailing Week" and they really come alive then!

Canada
Level Contributor
738 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Aruba vs. Antigua

I really enjoyed Antigua and felt it had a real Caribbean feel to it compared to Aruba, although nice, I found Aruba very Amercianized and didn't have a real Caribbean feel to it. Antigua is more lush and has rolling hills compared to Aruba and even has a small rainforest and some very beautiful beaches with white sand and beautiful clear turquoise water. They say it has 365 beaches, one for every day of the year. You will hear steel drum bands and and see some beautiful sunsets if you are on the west side of the island. Shirley Heights gets beautiful sunsets and they have a band playing at sunset and even host a barBQ. Princess Diana liked to vacation in Antigua and it's neighboring island of Barbuda.

Check out the hotel reviews on this site.

ny
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Aruba vs. Antigua

i have the same problem!! my husband and i are planning another vacation for next year and loved aruba but would like to try something different..

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aruba vs. Antigua

Never been to Aruba, but have traveled to many islands in the Caribbean both via cruises and week long stays. Antigua is my favorite island - even above SMX and St. Thomas or St. Lucia. Antigua has the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen. I am not a big food person, so can't comment on that, but if you want friendly people, great beaches and wonderful relaxation, then Antigua is it. We are going for a week in April and are already counting down the days!!!

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aruba vs. Antigua

What size and type of hotel are you looking for? We loved Antigua but the beaches are the main attraction. We stayed in Falmouth Harbour in a small 14 room hotel called Catamaran. Run by a local family. It is not luxurious but the staff are really friendly and helpful. Also this end of the island there are places that you can eat out at. It is also easy to use the local buses during the day and get a taxi in the evening. Shirley heights is not far where they have food and a steel band, however it can get very packed.

Virginia
Level Contributor
3 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aruba vs. Antigua

Aruba is better in terms of spacing - e.g. you don't have to drive through residential areas to get to attractions. Antigua does have beautiful beaches (we just got back from staying at the Rex Blue Heron) though. We ate at the Carlisle Bay resort - they have 2 restaurants that are VERY good (but pricy). Aruba is better I think as a vacation spot but Antigua is fine for laying around on the beach. The driving is iffy and the locals seem a little more pushy in terms of trying to sell their goods.

Picton, Ont.
Level Contributor
117 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aruba vs. Antigua

Were you looking for a local type of food? The home restaurant in St. John's is actually quite good for a fancy kind of local flavour. For a french cuisine, I recommend Chez Pascal near Galley Bay resort. His food is fabulous and affordable. There are many other fine dining restaurants on the island. Depending on what you are wanting to try, I could recommend some places to you.

I have spent time travelling the islands and Antigua was always my favourite and I decided to make it home. If I can help with any other questions regarding Antigua let me know at lesli_campbell@hotmail.com.

As for beaches, Antigua has some really amazing ones. Long Bay rates as my favourite on the island. I haven't been to Aruba so I can't compare. Hope to see you there!

antigua
Level Contributor
194 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Aruba vs. Antigua

i live in antigua and have been to aruba about 7 times (not on holiday). We do not have fast food like they do there. If you like eating all the american chain foods both fast food and reguar then you will love Aruba. Antigua has many fine restaurants and many good casual ones. I will give a few here for people to consider: (fine) Harmony Hall, Le Bistro, Chez Pascal, Le Cap Horn, Coconut Grove, Albertos, Pavillion, Juliens, Sheer, (casual) Havana Bar, OJs, Trappas, MAd Mongoose, Catherines Cafe, Commissioners Grill, Home, The Beach, Sticky Wicket, and the list goes on. Some are way better than others, but for someone to say that Antigua is lacking in food is pretty lame. They probably stayed at Sandals.

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aruba vs. Antigua

I lived in Antigua and now live in the ABC islands. I cannot compare the two. Two vastly different cultures. Dining options differ and well one is very hi rise Americanized and the other charming British West Indian. I love them both.

Aruba has a latin feel. It is a dry arid island. The people are a mix of European, South American and Asian. Great dining and thousands of jewelry shops..haaa.. Fun island but traffic and Americanized. The beaches are ok if you like hi rise heaven.

Antigua is British West Indian, ok shopping, great dining (Julian's and Home to name two) and amazing beaches.

Try both!

Get answers to your questions about Antigua