We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prickly Pear Island or Snorkeling Day Cruises

Monona, WI
13 posts
Save Topic
Prickly Pear Island or Snorkeling Day Cruises

We are staying at Hawksbill January 23-30 and looking for an all day snorkeling adventure tour. Has anyone been to Prickly Pear Island? Any great suggestions for a great place to see or an experience capitan and crew? One couple is experienced and the other couple have never snorkeled before so if there are other things to see and do, that would be perfect.

Mentioned in this post
Hawksbill by Rex Resorts
Hawksbill by Rex Resorts
1,295 Reviews
Antigua
Prickly Pear Island
Prickly Pear Island
80 Reviews
Antigua
Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prickly Pear Island or Snorkeling Day Cruises

Miguel and Josephine have run a great island picnic for over 20 years. I have many a fond memory of Prickly Pear. I also recommend Choke on a Bone. Capt. Stuart knows the best snorkeling spots and does a lovely picnic. You will be most impressed. Call him at 1 268 720 2979 or email stuartgriffith@yahoo.co.uk. I saw his boat two weeks back and was quite impressed. He was the first person to teach me to snorkel 20 years ago and has been on boats since. Now he runs his own charters and is highly skilled and a lot of fun.

Ann Phelan

Lake District, UK
Level Contributor
851 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prickly Pear Island or Snorkeling Day Cruises

Prickly Pair Island is certainly a good place to spend time, but I wonder if there's enough to do all day if you don't snorkel.

One of the most popular tours is Eli Fuller's Adventure Antigua. It was Eli's tour that turned my wife, who never liked to get her hair wet, into a zealous snorkeller. The tuition from his crew is excellent.

Check out his tours on www.adventureantigua.com.

Mentioned in this post
Adventure Antigua
Adventure Antigua
841 Reviews
Antigua
Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,483 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prickly Pear Island or Snorkeling Day Cruises

Hubby and I stayed at Hawksbill a couple of yrs ago, it's a really pretty property. We had a great beach club room that faced the rock formation from which the resort got it's name. We didn't go to Prickly Pear Island.

To me the must do day excursion was the fabulous trip we took to Antigua's sister island, Barbuda. We went on a high speed catamaran that was state of the art. Great trip across the water. Once you're out far enough you can see Montserrat, St. Kitts and even Nevis. The trip is a bit over an hour and once you arrive they load you into canoes with outboard motors for a trip up the lagoon to the Frigate Bird Sanctuary. It was lovely. Upon your return you board the boat to have a wonderful lunch, some offer grilled lobster, ours did not. It was still scrumptious.

You cruise up the coast past properties that are now closed, Beach House and the K Club. We anchored close to the K Club for great snorkeling in gin clear water. The reef was so healthy, teaming with marine life. I almost missed getting back as I was out so far and completely enthralled with what I was seeing. We were there in November and the water was really calm.

I think it's unfortunate that more travelers to Antigua don't make the trip over to Barbuda. It was the highlight our trip.

Whatever you do, enjoy your vacation!

Mentioned in this post
Hawksbill by Rex Resorts
Hawksbill by Rex Resorts
1,295 Reviews
Antigua
Prickly Pear Island
Prickly Pear Island
80 Reviews
Antigua
Montserrat
Montserrat
Caribbean
St. Kitts
St. Kitts
St. Kitts and Nevis
Nevis
Nevis
St. Kitts and Nevis
Frigate Bird Sanctuary
Frigate Bird Sanctuary
91 Reviews
Barbuda
Antigua
Antigua
Antigua and Barbuda
Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prickly Pear Island or Snorkeling Day Cruises

I must add Prickly Pear about 15 years ago was not the best snorkeling..the reef had pretty much died to to constant mooring and walking. It is a wonderful picnic and party organized by the loveliest people.

I second Eli's trip.

A day in Barbuda is also another great rec.

Ann Phelan

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,483 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prickly Pear Island or Snorkeling Day Cruises

Madison8,

Here's a link to a site that has some great photos of the day trip to Barbuda. They state the trip is 3 hrs. which I know is not true one way, so they must mean round trip.

http://www.myantigua.org/info_htm/barbuda.htm

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prickly Pear Island or Snorkeling Day Cruises

We did the all day Cat trip with Wadadli when we were there and had a blast. Snorked at Green Island, they served lunch, drinks. Great trip. We have done many 1/2 trips also with Wadadli and always have a great time.

Mentioned in this post
Green Island
Green Island
22 Reviews
Antigua
Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prickly Pear Island or Snorkeling Day Cruises

Karena, how is the reef at Green Island? Is it a healthy reef? Lots of coral?? Fish life?

Mentioned in this post
Green Island
Green Island
22 Reviews
Antigua
Monona, WI
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Prickly Pear Island or Snorkeling Day Cruises

Wow, I just posted this message yesterday and thanks to all who have replied. I copied all the information and appreciate all your recommendations.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Prickly Pear Island or Snorkeling Day Cruises

caribchakita

The reefs looked fine from what I could tell. I did not snorkel as much as normal since it was overcast, but the water was very clear and everyone that went out farther said it was good. I would love to go back and do some serious snorkeling there on a sunny day.

10. Re: Prickly Pear Island or Snorkeling Day Cruises

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:34 am, August 15, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Antigua