We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Be aware Reefview Apartments Cades Bay Antigua rip off

Laval
1 post
Be aware Reefview Apartments Cades Bay Antigua rip off

Dear friends travelers,

Please be aware of staying at the Reefview Apatments in Cades Bay. We had pay all our stay in advance via wire transfer.

They ask for a $400 US cash upon arrival *security deposit for used furniture without any value just the day before we left for our vacation, had to run to the bank to get cash. We have been to many B&B, guest houses, rental homes and hotel and were never ask such a large amount.

There tactic is to ripped you off just before getting home on your departure day. The reason why Karoll (real estate agent) and Nick (the sailor) ask for such a security deposit is that they will take what ever they want in it the morning you leave and leave the rest at your doorstep while your sleeping and runaway the next morning without settling the transaction in person and saying goodbye! Very rude people only interested in selling there various excursions at ridiculous prices and making you feel bad when you prefer to go your own way.

Other then these 2 people (brit origins) the ANtiguan people seems very niceand there's beautiful beaches on the island and sunshine all week long.

Also, the noise is awful in that area (dogs, donkeys, community hall next door with many parties, beach near buy, not much of sand to lay down and probably would brake the kayak that they offer to rent you with a $800 fee if you break it...)

to avoid:

http://www.reefviewapartments.com/

Forest, Ontario...
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Be aware Reefview Apartments Cades Bay Antigua rip off

Hi...Oh, dear. We have rented Reefview Apts. from Feb. 28 - Mar.13th. Were just informed about security deposit, but price was not mentioned. From e-mails back and forth to Karoll she seemed like a lovely person, willing to accommodate us. Any other info you can give us would be appreciated. Thanks...Mary Jane

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: Be aware Reefview Apartments Cades Bay Antigua rip off

Just got back from a stay at ReefView, saw your post, couldn't disagree more. Karoll and Nick were amazing, it was like having a 24 hour concierge. We booked them for a private snorkel trip and they planned everything for us. They offered first to book us on another trip that went to Cades Reef. After we considered that, it wasn't that much more for them to take us out at our convenience, and we weren't snorkeling with other tourists. Nick had these cool little water propellers that zip you thru the water as well. Karoll was there to greet us, and offered welcome drinks, and Nick cooked us a great BBQ. Their place is located in a rural village, and I think the website doesn't mislead about that. If you don't want an eco-tour than go stay in Sandals.

Forest, Ontario...
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Be aware Reefview Apartments Cades Bay Antigua rip off

Hi Island Chickie

Thanks for your quick response. You have made me feel more comfortable about our trip. I also went to another website and the reviews on Reefview were also positive. My husband and I tend to go to off the beaten path places which we enjoy instead of the all inclusive resorts. Did you have to put down a $400.00 security deposit, with full refund at the end of your holiday? Thanks again for your quick reply...enjoy your weekend...Mary Jane

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
96 reviews
4. Re: Be aware Reefview Apartments Cades Bay Antigua rip off

Always watch for post that are full of praise and the posters first post!

UK
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Be aware Reefview Apartments Cades Bay Antigua rip off

You can check out other reviews and information on www.geographia.com site for antigua and barbuda, there has been previous postings on this subject and you might read a bit more about it. Strangely there was suggestions that 2 of the postings (very positive) were first timers!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: Be aware Reefview Apartments Cades Bay Antigua rip off

Yikes! I didn't mean to start a war or anything. And it wasn't all positive. The second poster did contact me directly, and I said there was a donkey that woke us up. Then again, when I stay at my sister's farm in Colorado, her stupid turkey woke me up every morning! (Meant to be dinner, somehow turned in to a pet.) It was only the second time I had ever posted on a forum. I do like to read them but always felt weird to post. This time I felt compelled to "defend" the owner after I had stayed and read a bad review. "Rude" is really the last thing I would call Karoll. Chatty, yes, but rude, no way. Rude was the Immigration officer and the checkout people at the grocery store. Wow, would it kill them to smile?? The apartment was lovely (great cool tile on the floor, kind of like a compass pattern, nice touch with handmade soap obviously locally made). Is the apartment luxurious? No? But I hated Atlantis (no choice on the accomodations, went with the nephews) so maybe I'm not your typical traveller. For myself and my sister it was great. We had a car to get around, and I never like to go to just one beach.

So there, now I have TWO postings, so I hope I can redeem myself. Apparently committed the same faux-pas of posting a good comment first instead of a bad on a message board for a tiny Paris hotel, when someone complained the rooms where small. Wow, small rooms in Europe! What a concept!!

(Actually it kind of fascinating to see how many people follow these. Kind of cool to think someone's always watching....)

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
7. Re: Be aware Reefview Apartments Cades Bay Antigua rip off

And btw, where's your Travel IQ score?? I thought that was just the coolest thing!!! Don't criticize me unless you beat 99 ;-) ha-ha

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
96 reviews
8. Re: Be aware Reefview Apartments Cades Bay Antigua rip off

Hi islandchickie

No world war created here :) Thanks for your second post, when you know an area very well and check a message board regulaly for comments you do become aware of patterns occuring and the pattern of comments made by posters who have not asked even a question before but suddenly come up with an excellent review is seen now and again. Obviously some, like yours are accurate opinions, others are less true.

All I can say is I am glad you found a part of Antigua you enjoyed, that the apartment suited you and your family and you have gone home with good memories.

Have fun - Mun

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
134 reviews
9. Re: Be aware Reefview Apartments Cades Bay Antigua rip off

Now I know someone who was just at Reefview and LOVED it. It's all a matter of opinion.

Ann Phelan

boston
1 post
1 review
10. Re: Be aware Reefview Apartments Cades Bay Antigua rip off

My wife and I stayed at Reefview in Nov. of '07 and considering the weather in Boston today, wish we were back there NOW. This is not a resort, but a casual, off the beaten path, secluded, rural, romantic getaway. Not only are Nick and Karol very helpful, accomodating, and hospitable, they were very clear about all the arraingements beforhand. They are great about offering a huge array of activities without pressuring to do any of them. Beautiful gardens and view of Cades Bay - proximity to the neighborhood people, animals and secluded beach gives it the feeling of experiencing the 'real' Antigua -not just another resort that could be anywhere. We do recommend renting a car, as there is a great deal to see (beaches, restaurants, etc,) on the rest of the island. Don't leave without trying Karol's famous rum punch!