We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bugs!

Scotland
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bugs!

Hi, I'm going to Antigua in July and I am PETRIFIED of bugs. I've read that there are mosquitoes and sandflies, and also that some people have seen huge spider. I'm particularly concerned about wasp-like bugs i.e. anything that could have a potentially deadly sting, if someone was allergic to the sting.

I'm also concerned about dragon flies. I've never been to the Caribbean before, but have seen some scary things in Florida.

Could someone please tell me what other bugs I can expect to see?

Thanks so much in advance.

p.s. what ARE sandflies???

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bugs!

Not sure about the bugs, but sandflies are NASTY. I had a bout with them in Jamaica. They're so small you can't see them. They just jump and bite and jump off so quick you never see them. You'll know when you're bit though, VERY itchy. I received approx 25 bites in less than 5 minutes. Not sure what to do about it, other than DEET. Another forum suggested the REAL Aloe Vera from the plant, not the one in the bottle.

Scotland
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Bugs!

kmel, thanks for your response. I'll definitely try to get som DEET based repellent. Can anyone else offer some info. on other bugs I can expect to see? Particularly interested in wasp-type bugs!!!

Thanks!

Indianapolis, IN
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bugs!

Like you, I am petrified of bugs and anything that gets near my face that buzzes. However, I did not think the mosquites were that bad in Antigua. I was there just a few weeks ago and only got maybe a total of 8 bites on my legs and arms. I did make sure to use DEET bug replent and sunscreen with DEET. I did see a few bees and a dragon fly but, they never bothered me. Just use little or no perfumes and hairspray. If I were you, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Scotland
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Bugs!

adanzdelott, thanks for your post. Sounds like I don't have too much to worry about then. I plan to take some citronella candles and a repellent for the hotel room, so hopefully that will keep the mosquitoes at bay when I'm inside too.

Thanks again!

uk
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bugs!

Hi was in Antigua in December. I took a DEET based insect repellent which repelled the mossies but NOT the sandflies which had a feast on my legs. The only thing which repelled the sandflies was a local Antiguan spray called "OFF!" available in the supermarkets.

PS Didn't see or hear of any scary bugs!! Have a fantastic time, we liked it so much we are going back this Dec.

UK
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Bugs!

I was in Antigua beginning of May for 2 weeks and only got 3 or 4 mosquito bites. Sandflies can be nasty, but they are mostly on the beaches in the late evenings so cover up your legs and you shouldn't be too bad.

There are dragonflies their, but I've never seen any bigger than a couple of inches, and even then I've only seen a handful in 4 holidays.

Someone told me that there are big spiders, but I've never seen any, so I expect that they come out late at night or away from the resorts.

Expect to see a fair few lizards (Gecko type ones), but they are only tiny and will run a mile if you move to near to them!

Have a great holiday!