We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diamond Shopping

Phoenix
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Diamond Shopping

Has anyone shopped for diamonds in Antigua recently? I hear their prices are much cheapier then the states and better quality too. Can anyone help with this topic?

Redcliffe Quay
Architectural Buildings, Piers & Boardwalks, Shopping Malls
Heritage Quay
Piers & Boardwalks, Shopping Malls
Rhode Island
Level Contributor
164 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Diamond Shopping

Hi! Just returned from Antigua last Monday. Of course, what girl doesn't want to look at "bling-bling"?? We went to St. John's to do some shopping and also took a peek at the jewelry. Looked at a diamond eternity band (white gold, channel set). The weight was .83 carats, or thereabouts, and the color G/H. They were not certified diamonds, and I believe the price was $740.00. Certainly not a bad price, but I wasn't really contemplating a purchase, just curious. It appers that the personnel, in many of the Caribbean island jewelry stores, will almost bend over backwards to sell their jewlery. Often times, they will tell you that it has been a slow day or that there are no cruise ships in port, and they will negotiate bargaining tools. My concern is that are the diamonds really what they say are? I always feel safer and more confident when purchasing gems from a local, reputable jeweler.

My suggestion would be to price what you are looking for in Phoenix, and then do some comparison shopping when you visit Antigua. By doing so, you will be able to comfortably make a decision. Hope this sheds some light on your topic!

Phoenix
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Diamond Shopping

Pferland - Thank you very much for the response and the heads-up. I, too, would also be concerned about purchasing a diamond that is not certified. I have been doing quite a bit of research in Phoenix; therefore, feel that I would know if I'm being offered a good deal. Virtually flawless diamonds are hard to find in the states in a 2+ carat size and if you do find them they are $30K or more. I'm being told the same diamond in Antigua would be roughly $10-$12K. I guess I'll simply find out when we arrive in August.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
164 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Diamond Shopping

Hi Salt/Sand/Sea!

You are more than welcome for what little information I was able to provide.

I do know what you mean regarding virtually flawless diamonds being difficult to come by. Our son became engaged last October and, he too, was searching for that very special diamond. His fiance' wanted a pear-cut stone, and he wanted to find that particular cut in an exceptional stone. He was very fortunate in that he did finally find it, and what a beauty it is!! I don't think you can go wrong purchasing a certified diamond, do you?

I did not particulary think there were too many jewelers in Antigua, however, as compared to Aruba. This island has sooooooooo many jewelry stores, and the selections are extraordinary!

Best of luck in finding that "special something", and I hope you enjoy Antigua as much as we did!!

Get answers to your questions about Antigua