We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas 2018

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas 2018

We’ve been to Antigua twice now - Nov 2017 (Jolly Hbr villa with friends) and April 2018 (Sugar Ridge). We had truly wonderful vacations both times and want to come back for Christmas this year. Travelling as a couple but don’t want to be isolated in a villa by ourselves that time of year, and our CDN $ may make places we would chose at other times of the year out of our range. So. I’m looking at Jolly Harbour Resort because we love that side of the island, vs Ocean Point because of what I read about the food. I understand the beach may be different from the Caribbean side and more isolated than JH. I’m also interested to find out if the JH marina restaurants would be open Dec 22-31 timeframe (Melinis AlPorto) and Castaways. Price point at JH would def let us eat around a bit. I’d be grateful if forum folks could weigh in with opinions on the two resorts for that particular holiday - or any other price efficient alternative I may be overlooking. Appreciate any replies.

4 replies to this topic
Dorchester, United...
Level Contributor
874 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas 2018

As I posted further down I've stayed in Jolly Harbour (in a privately rented villa/apartment) for the last 5 Christmas and New Year periods. I can say most of the restaurants stayed open all the time in fact this year we ate at Al Porto on Christmas Day night, possibly only 1 or 2 shut on New Year's Day. Even the Epicurean Supermarket opened every day including Christmas Day albeit reduced hours. I don;t know Ocean Point but believe it is very isolated from things to do in the evening and personally find the Atlantic side beaches not really in the same league as the Caribbean - can be much rougher and much windier. Overall in my opinion Jolly Harbour Resort would give you the option of fr more things to do over the holidays and the choice of far more beaches accessible by short bus or taxi ride.

Ontario
Level Contributor
475 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas 2018

I know where Ocean Point is and you probably wouldn't like it.....you would end up having to do a lot of driving....not much around there. i like the east coast wind b/c I don't get so many bug bites....we would visit the west coast beaches for a few hours and then retreat to our cottage and the winds of the east!

(I have to add....our Cdn $ is a real vacation killer....miss the days when it was par with the US $ )

Edited: 4:35 pm, June 09, 2018
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas 2018

Thank you, both. I very much want to try the east side of the Island but feel the west coast is more suited. Just needed confirmation. Thank you. Am still going to try to save wildly for SR or Cocobay - but eh what a problem. 🌞

Torquay, England
Level Contributor
693 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas 2018

We rented a villa at Jolly Harbour for Christmas 2016 and are going back for Christmas this year. We had a great time and everything was open when we were there. We spent Christmas morning on the beach then got a taxi down to the Christmas Day Party at Nelson’s Dockyard then back to Castaways in the evening. We will be doing this again this year. Friends we met spent Christmas Day at Sheer Rocks which they had done before and loved it.

Edited: 1:35 am, June 12, 2018
Reply to: Christmas 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Antigua