We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Antigua or St. Lucia for our honeymoon. Please help!

Austin
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Antigua or St. Lucia for our honeymoon. Please help!

I am torn between Antigua or St. Lucia for our honeymoon in July. I know the islands are two totally different islands.

Antigua claims to have 365 beaches and we love beaches. St. Lucia has beaches and mountains. The beaches look prettier in Antigua than St. Lucia but the beaches in St. Lucia look pretty as well.

As you can tell I am really torn. I talked to my fiance and showed her the two islands and she is torn between them too.

If anybody could give any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

13 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Antigua or St. Lucia for our honeymoon. Please help!

tough to be you, either place you will enjoy...i have been to both and prefer antigua because the water is prettier with differing shades of blue... check out adventureantigua.com ...the extreme tour is awesome and a must if you decide on antigua

have you started to look at resorts for either island?

Austin
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Antigua or St. Lucia for our honeymoon. Please help!

Yes I have started looking at resorts in both places. I have been looking at Blue Water in Antigua and Anse Chantenat Resort in St. Lucia.

If you have any other suggestions please let me know.

Thank you for your reply

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Antigua or St. Lucia for our honeymoon. Please help!

Antigua has without doubt the better beaches probably THE best, St.Lucia is more "jungly ",the beaches have more brownish sand & the sea is nowhere as blue, both hotels are quite remote, considering the size of the islands "remote" is a relative term! but they arn't right in the thick of the action. If I was going to pick a hotel for the holiday of a lifetime such as a honeymoon, & bearing in mind cost , presuming that is a factor like most people, I would pick Galley Bay on Antigua, not cheap, but not ridiculous either & always looks great. Anse Chastenet is a superb hotel onSL; & while ANT is quiet SL is deadly quiet! especially down there.

13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Antigua or St. Lucia for our honeymoon. Please help!

i agree with dogman......stayed at galley bay for honeymoon last june and loved it....blue waters looks very nice as well....bigger beach at galley bay though...as you will be enjoying each other you cant go wrong either place (both are quiet resorts) no party time....very relaxing

13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Antigua or St. Lucia for our honeymoon. Please help!

check out this link with pics of galley bay and hawksbill (next door to galley bay divided by hill

geographia.com/antiguanews/…

go to newsgroup at this links for forum and more pics of antigua

http://www.antigua-barbuda.org/index.html

Austin
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Antigua or St. Lucia for our honeymoon. Please help!

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You

I appreciate all the comments. After talking with my fiance the beach is a must. We are both beach people. We both like the mountains too but the beach is a must. We have always pictured white sand and blue water.

On that note, What is a must to do in Antigua?

13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Antigua or St. Lucia for our honeymoon. Please help!

cant help a whole lot there as we pretty much took it easy except for the exteme circumnav tour which was awesome...get to see the whole island....did go shopping in st johns but didnt really care for that.....didnt make it to shirley heights which you will see a lot of pics of......the link I listed is a wealth of info as well as this site....i cant wait to go back to antigua...enjoy!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,076 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Antigua or St. Lucia for our honeymoon. Please help!

Hi

If all you want to do is go to an AI resort, stay there and enjoy it then it really doesnt matter if you choose Antigua or St Lucia. However IMO Antigua is safer, friendlier and freer than St Lucia.

Best wishes - Mun

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,624 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Antigua or St. Lucia for our honeymoon. Please help!

Have to agree with Mun here.

while I myself haven't been to SL yet (it's on my short list), friends did recently this christmas with their 2 children. Said they wouldn't go back as they felt it a threatening atmosphere (kind of like Jamaica maybe?) . They were staying in a hotel on the main tourist beach.

Or it could be her husband's propensity to get himself in trouble. They first started going away at christmas after her

husband climbed a ladder just before new year to clean the gutters and fell off and almost died- spent the whole holiday in hospital. she then decided it might be good to go away then. In SL, he managed to have an accident in his catamaran the next to last day ant then spent extra days there in hospital too. Could have coloured her recollection of the whole trip.

A

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
127 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Antigua or St. Lucia for our honeymoon. Please help!

We were at Sandals OR/Jamaica in June 2005 and at Sandals Halcyon/St Lucia in Oct 2006. We loved both, but St Lucia was definitely our favorite. The first couple of days in SL, hubby kept saying he liked Jamaica better, but by the end of the second day, St Lucia had won him over! The overall island is definitely prettier, the general look of the island, the quality of life seemed better, and its homes are much nicer, though they have all ranges--to include wood shacks. It was amazing that all homes, no matter what level of income, had GORGEOUS curtains in their windows. When I asked one of our fabulous tour guies about it, she said that their people were very proud. She said they all put up special curtains during the Christmas holiday. We're going back to Sandals/OR NEXT WEEK (WooHoo), bu will DEFINITELY be going back to St Lucia as well!!