We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Anguilla the safest island in the Caribbean?

Nevada
3 posts
Save Topic
Is Anguilla the safest island in the Caribbean?

I heard that Anguilla is relatively safe with a really low crime rate than compared to much larger Caribbean Islands with more people. I think to narrow my decision for my vacation during Christmas time I would like to know which islands are among the safest and have the friendliest people and enjoy having tourists? Im still not sure about wanting to go to Anguilla because theres not much to do but the beaches look beautiful. Any other suggestions for islands comparable to Anguilla but offer much more to do?

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
6,850 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Anguilla the safest island in the Caribbean?

Yes, Anguilla is a relatively safe island. I say relatively safe because no island (or any place for that matter) is completely crime free. Wherever you decide to go don't think that just because there are palm trees, sunshine and beautiful beaches that you can leave your common sense at home. Other islands that have a reputation of being relatively safe include (listed in no particular order):

Turks & Caicos

The Bahamas Out-islands

Vieques

Culebra

St. John

All of the BVI's

The Caymans

Barbados

St. Barts

Saba

St. Eustacia

Nevis

St. Kitts

Monserrat

Barbuda

Martinique

Guadalupe

Iles des Saints

Marie Gallant

St. Vincent

The Grenadines

Aruba

Curacao

Bonaire

That's not to say the islands not on the list are unsafe but rather they are larger and more populated and therefore crime might be more prevellant, especially in the more urban areas of those islands. Think of it like a large city back home as having more incidents of crime than a small rural town but the small twn could conceiveable have a higher crime rate per capita.

caribbean
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Anguilla the safest island in the Caribbean?

Does anyone really believe there is a 'safest' island? Or 'friendliest people' who 'enjoy having tourists'....I live in the Caribbean...trust me, tourists are welcome EVERYWHERE...why? Because like any other industry, they symbolise money...and money in the Caribbean is hard to come by...lets not be so niave as to think its all about raggae and rum punches....white people mean money....and where there is money there is crime...period.

3. Re: Is Anguilla the safest island in the Caribbean?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:23 am, August 18, 2009