We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caribbean vs. Hawaii

Nevada
3 posts
Save Topic
Caribbean vs. Hawaii

People whose been to both places what would u suggest as a better place. Opinions will be gladly accepted!!!!

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,760 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caribbean vs. Hawaii

It's comparing apples to oranges.

you need to state YOUR tastes, what you look for in a vacation. Then someone can help you.

Keep in mind too, that the Caribbean is made up of numerous islands, and they are all completely different from each other with their own personalities.

Also having said that, you will find people that rave about Caribbean and could care less about Hawaii, or rave about Hawaii and could car less about Caribbean.

If you're a beach person, Caribbean whens by a landslide.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,760 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caribbean vs. Hawaii

I meant to write wins! sorry.

Indiana
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Caribbean vs. Hawaii

I've been to Hawaii a couple of times and I 've been to several islands in the carribean including the U.S. V.I., Aruba and others. I agree with the other response that there are things that are better in one place compared to the other. The beaches are better in the carribean but I think the snorkeling is better in Hawaii. Both have very friendly people, service is slower in the carribean but that's part of its charm of a relaxind and taking a slower pace. The roads are better in Hawaii and I think the restaurants are better however you can find great food at both places. I hope this helps.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Caribbean vs. Hawaii

I see that you are in Nevada, I am in California. I have been many times to both places. This year we went to Hawaii for the first time in a long time and were shocked at the airfare. It is the same price now as to the caribbean. Used to be you could find cheap airfare to Hawaii. ( there is a somewhat cheaper flight, Oakland to Hilo) But still no longer a great deal. So I vote the Carribean. The water is like no where else I have ever been. I loved Anguilla and Nevis and St. Maarten. How about take a cruise, small Windjammer boat and see several islands and stay after on one?

pbz
Chicago
Level Contributor
436 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Caribbean vs. Hawaii

Re Caribbean vs. Hawaii, if we lived nr. SFO or LAX and could 1-hop it to Kauai, or if the $$ were close, we would spend more time in Hawaii. Just another data point...

Level Contributor
533 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Caribbean vs. Hawaii

I love the north shore of Kauai and hope to go again someday, but it is so far away. We get a non-stop four hour flight from Philly and land in paradise. Can't complain. They are both wonderful. Anguilla is the most unaffected island we have found in the Caribbean. of course, it is developing, but is still a lot slower than other islands.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
10,293 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Caribbean vs. Hawaii

Been to Hi many times - Maui and Oahu. Once we found Anguilla we never thought about HI again.

For us, it's all about the beach, and AXA wins hands down.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Caribbean vs. Hawaii

I've been to both as well. AXA hands down. We've been all over and once we found Anguilla, we've never gone anywhere else!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,252 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Caribbean vs. Hawaii

Been to both and loved both. but I have to admit I do love the Carribean a ltitle better, and being on the east coast, the Carribean in terms of flight time is much better than the 13 hours it took to get to Hawaii.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Caribbean vs. Hawaii

The first time I went to Kauai I thought I would never find another place that I could possibly like that much. We had a hard time doing anything except take pictures! Some of those pictures still hang on my walls.

But then we went to St. John in the US Virgins and I fell totally in love with the island. I have not been back to Kauai in many years, but have gone again and again to St. John. The water is the prettiest blue, clear and calm, with lush green mountains all around that drop down to beautiful crescents of white-sand beaches. Every turn in the road brings another photo op. Everything is as close to perfect as it gets -- the water, the beach, the weather, the people, the laid-back atmosphere -- it's the whole package.