We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I Know It Will Be Worth All the Hassle.....

North Salem, New...
Level Contributor
239 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
I Know It Will Be Worth All the Hassle.....

So, we planned this trip to Anguilla back in August - we've come every year for the past 10 or so years after coming as a couple only and falling in love (with the island, I mean). Never had any problems - pretty seamless travel from NY - maybe a delay here or there, but nothing to complain about. Then there was this year.

First, we got defrauded on the first villa we picked out - I think I mentioned this previously in response to OPs post. I won't go into details, but there we go - lost half of the cost of the villa - poof! Then, panic set in because we had expensive plane tickets and no place to stay and only 45 days or so to go before our vacation, which we planned for 11 days so we could really relax this year. A very nice woman took mercy on our situation and came through for us - a lot more expensive than we had planned, but then again when you think something is too good to be true, it usually is, so anything was bound to be more expensive than our original fraudulent "deal". The countdown began.

Turned out I had work to do and needed to hole up in SXM for a couple of days (not my cup of tea, BTW) and I would meet my family when they arrived and we would head to AXA together. However, my schedule got messed up and I had to get here sooner (yes, I am here now, as I write this), so I decided to fly Anguilla Air Services. Meanwhile, back at home........another massive snowstorm -feet upon feet already on the ground from the last 2 (or 3 - I've lost count at this point) - I get the notification phone call that my family's flight was cancelled. Will be a couple of hours before they can figure out when they can rebook them. DH on phone for hours on end trying to find a flight - and they finally tell him.......Monday. Keep in mind this was Thursday morning (yesterday) - 4 days away and 5 days into vacation.

I travel on to AXA (oh, and because the other passengers on my flight were delayed due to weather, I was the sole passenger) - I love that 8 minutes - it is so awesome to see Anguilla from the air and to touch down only minutes after taking off. Anyway, I digress.

So, now I am here and my family is back in NY - after a gazillion more hours on the phone with American to see if anything opened up, we are nowhere - absolutely nowhere. Still Monday earliest they can get here, leaving their vacation down to 6 days and me spending the first week alone (okay, if you have to be alone somewhere, it should be here, but I'm just saying....). I finally get so mad with American that I try booking myself and - 'lo and behold - there is a non-stop JetBlue flight Saturday morning with 5 seats left (I needed 4). I jump on it thinking I will just stick it to American (again, silly me...), book it and call American and let them know I found something and they should pay for it because they were going to do that anyway (family was booked on Delta for Monday) - they say nope. Anyway, to make a long story a little shorter, we cancelled our flights on American (I'm going to remember this, being a million miler with them) and booked RT on JetBlue (we will, however, get a full refund from AA). They will arrive, god willing, tomorrow afternoon and my aloneness will be over.

With that settled finally - spent the whole evening and most of this morning working that out - I got myself to SBE by 1:00 p.m. today and parked my butt on a lounger in front of Elodia's and ordered myself a rum punch. And, then I had another one (with some BBQ chicken and salad, too). A major relief and to see that water again - I always say I can picture SBE in my mind and then when I see it again in person, it reminds me that the picture in my mind is not even close to reality. It takes my breath away.....

So, here I am - alone for one more night, sitting in the villa for 5 typing away on the TA forum - glass of wine in hand :)

Tomorrow the vacation really starts........and I've been taking notes on some of the places we have not been to and some that we have not been to for a long time - so I know my fellow TA posters will not let me down!

I will try to write a TR - but we are just not as exciting as OPs - I read their TRs and they're like a travelogue of interesting information. We just like to sit on a beach (different ones often) and be casual. We will make some reservations, but other nights we will wing it. We'll see.

But, as I said in my post heading - I know all the hassle will be worth it in the end... :)

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
10,538 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I Know It Will Be Worth All the Hassle.....

Wow - have you gone through the wringer, but the end is in sight, hang in there, not long now and you will all be together in Paradise.

Luck to you,

Ellen

North Salem, New...
Level Contributor
239 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I Know It Will Be Worth All the Hassle.....

Thank you, Ellen. BTW, I think it was you who was featured in the new True Anguilla magazine with your thoughts on the island? I love this place and it is my dream to somehow, someday find a way to live here at least part of the year.........

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
350 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: I Know It Will Be Worth All the Hassle.....

Mom to J & L,

one of the most honest posts I've ever read. THANK YOU! i wouldn't worry about saying anything else.

TK

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
2,942 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I Know It Will Be Worth All the Hassle.....

It can only get better from here on in. We live in Paradise (Naples, Florida) but we still go to Anguilla because of the people. You will have a great time soon!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
10,538 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I Know It Will Be Worth All the Hassle.....

Mom, yes, I was honored to be included in the first edition of True Anguilla, that was very exciting.

Enjoy your time with your family, it goes way too fast.

Ellen

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
7,116 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I Know It Will Be Worth All the Hassle.....

If I couldn't be in Paradise even for 5 minutes sans DH, I think I would go crazy, so I am feeling your pain.

It's just a place I need to share with him or it just doesn't feel the same.

You sure are handling everything with aplomb. But now that they are on their way, things should turn around for you. Enjoy the rest of your stay.

Please consider writing something or other at some point. We're not particular -- just wanting!

:-))

North Salem, New...
Level Contributor
239 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I Know It Will Be Worth All the Hassle.....

Thanks everyone! Family is at the airport, hoping they can beat the next round of snow! Fingers crossed!

Woke up to showers this morning, but sun is shining brightly now. Off to Mead's Bay for some relaxation and then to Blowing Point later this afternoon to grab the crew! Yay!

Hmmm...where to have lunch????

Devon, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I Know It Will Be Worth All the Hassle.....

Mom to,

What an ordeal, indeed. Light snow we hear so hopefully the family is happily ensconced on a plane heading here! This truly is the winter from

He.. but heaven here in AXA. Good for you to start the limin for the family ;-)

If u find yourself at Ocean Echo this afternoon for lunch, look for the guy with the graying beard with the lady with short hair n that's us.

Do post if u get time while lounging. Few of us are travel writers but all if us love to read TRs even when we r here.

Minnetonka...
Level Contributor
388 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I Know It Will Be Worth All the Hassle.....

Holy Cow! Your 'adventure' is right up there with the Griswalds! Enjoy the rest of your vacation!

Satellite Beach...
Level Contributor
55 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I Know It Will Be Worth All the Hassle.....

Anguilla is obviously your - to use an overused cliché - "little slice of heaven.' Unfortunately this latest trip has been fraught with frustration and inconvenience. As mentioned in a previous post you seem to be handling the situation just fine and writing about it can be helpful in overcoming any pent-up anxiety. Paradise lost - wherever that is for us travelers - is no longer and getting there seems to be getting more difficult. Rest assured, we all have had similar experiences on occasion. When everyone arrives and settles in and the true relaxation begins, take an evening to find a favorite spot for quiet solitude. Anguilla offers many. And as evening beckons the sun's descent, watch the night birds fly on shadowed wings and know the best is simple things. Drink in hand.....of course.