We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area best on Anguilla?

New Haven, CT
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Which area best on Anguilla?

After much debate, we've decided on Anguilla over the Outer Islands, Bahamas. Both had the H20 & beaches we want but overall, we think maybe we do want more "to-do" options for a trip over 2 wks. (Plus my boyfriend had already seen Nassau so if we need to venture out...St. Martin would be a better choice for a ferry day trip).

So, do we want to be in Shoal Bay or is that too touristy with people trying to rent beach chairs & taxi's dropping off day trippers? Should we be looking to stay in Meads Bay or Rendezvous Bay area (though that hotel is closed) or is that too remote if not renting a car everyday? The majority of people seem to think Shoal Bay East is the best beach so is that very crowded or will September be quiet? What can we expect? How is Anguilla overall in comparison to say: Provo, TCI. (besides better food & worse snorkeling, LOL) Maybe we'll actually WANT to be in the busiest area if its gonna be quiet. Right now we're looking into the Allamanda Beach Club but there are also some reasonable apartments available in more residential parts of the island but I doubt we'll rent a car every day so I don't know?? Any thoughts?

Port St. Mary...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,758 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which area best on Anguilla?

September is very quiet on the island, last year someone posted a Trip report with the headline "We went to Anguilla and it was Closed".

Many of the restaurants and hotels close late August until late November.

It is also the peak hurricane season, so insurance is advisable.

Port St. Mary...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,758 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which area best on Anguilla?

September is very quiet on the island, last year someone posted a Trip report with the headline "We went to Anguilla and it was Closed".

Many of the restaurants and hotels close late August until late November.

It is also the peak hurricane season, so insurance is advisable.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, The Valley
Level Contributor
9,773 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which area best on Anguilla?

Only you can decide if you want busy or quiet. Personally, if I were planning day trips - St Barts, St Martin, I would stay at Ferry Boat Inn so I would be close to the Ferry dock - they have a nice (quiet) beach and a very good restaurant.

BTW - I think Rendezvous Bay is the best beach - SBE is too touristy for me.

My second favorite is Mead's Bay and if I ever can't get RBH - I am going to look at Carimar Beach Club.

Good Luck on whatever you decide!

Trabuco Canyon, CA
Level Contributor
117 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which area best on Anguilla?

Meads Bay is great and very quiet. Rendevouz Bay was my second favorite. We prefered not to see St. M from the shore. We stayed at Carimar, we just came home on Saturday. It was PERFECT! I highly recommend it.

CA
Level Contributor
175 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Which area best on Anguilla?

We like Carimar and Meads Bay too . Great beach and practically deserted when we're there typically in June. No AC though and it gets pretty hot. Always go to Shoal Bay for a day or 2. It is a fantastic beach and if you want a few people around that may be for you. I can't really say I've ever seen it crowded. It's not like St Martin.

ireland
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Which area best on Anguilla?

I have visited Anguilla in May and also December/January. Christmas is supposedly the busiest season however i never thought it was really busy. i think alot of people go to Anguilla on all exclusives and never leave their Resort therefore the Island does not seem crowded!.

I love Shoal bay east and never thought it was too busy around Gwen's, where you can rent deck chairs, go snorkelling and eat fabulous food from Gwen's Kitchen!! I think up around Johnno's the beach is busy but not down by Gwen's. I

love Rendevous bay as well, the Dune has great food by day and great Music by night!!

Sandy Ground is another lively area but all the boats are anchored there so you would have to swim amongst them!!

The whole place is fantastic, just watch out for the damn Mosquitoes!! They will eat you alive!!

K

Philadelphia
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
3,667 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which area best on Anguilla?

Were the mosquitoes worse in May than they were in January? Or is it about the same year round?