We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first timer, trying to make a to do list

Brick, NJ
Level Contributor
365 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
first timer, trying to make a to do list

Ive been reading posts seeing what to do and what not. Got a good idea of stuff that we should do and where to eat. Having trouble coordinating which days to do stuff, whats open, whats closed, who has a special, when a band is playing..stuff like that.

We arrive in SXM Dec 6 and were going to stay one night then spend 10 nights on Anguilla. 5 at Frangipani and 5 on shoal bay east at a villa. So trying also to make our lunches, dinners and things to do make sense with where were staying. We are renting a car and don't mine driving but just trying to plan sensibly. Want to have a great honeymoon!

From my research thinking for excursions: taking chocolat to prickly pear, scilly cay for lunch and little bay with calvin...??? anything else?

To eat: straw hat, blanchards (lunch), veya, jacala, hibernia, gerauds( breakfast)...where else is a must???

Not looking to make a schedule but would like to know the must do and must eats.

MA
Level Contributor
240 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first timer, trying to make a to do list

When at Shoal Bay East don't miss Big Spring. Not a fancy restaurant and not on the beach, but really great food, French cuisine, fantastic pizza, Caesar salad, and desserts . Also, Madeariman on SBE is a don't miss for lunch or dinner. Love their conch stuffed chicken or lobster pizza. Dolce Vida in Sandy Ground is at the top of my favorites list, best veal parmesan I've eaten anywhere. Great service and right on the beach.

We never have a schedule, deciding as you go works so well when you are totally relaxed and on island time.

Have a fantastic honeymoon! Anguilla is the best!!

ontario canada
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: first timer, trying to make a to do list

PJ...Big Spring has closed...

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
10,293 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first timer, trying to make a to do list

I make a spread sheet of all my days, for each day, I fill in lunches, dinners and entertainment, we don't always do everything, but at least we have a day to day plan to fall back on, so we are not going to places that are closed, or looking around for something to do.

Ellen

new jersey
Level Contributor
412 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first timer, trying to make a to do list

I am sure that I will get people who disagree with me, but I recommend not eating at the big two hotels here---Viceroy and Cusinart (with the exception of sushi at the Sunset Lounge at Viceroy). We usually go to Viceroy, Cuisinart or Cap Juluca for a drink before going to one of the islands 35+ restaurants. And do not miss having a drink at the golf course bar at Cuisinart for a great view of St. Martin.

We also time our dinners around musicians' schedules (and do not forget to tip the musicians). They play everything from Frank Sinatra to Coldplay and always add a little romance to our meal.

Florida
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,566 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first timer, trying to make a to do list

We are so the opposite. We never plan ahead. We go with what we feel like on the day of. But always call a few hours ahead for restaurant reservations. They all like to know how many to expect. I wouldn't miss Trattoria Tramonto, whether for lunch or dinner. Also Mango's. Go to Sunshine shack on Rendezvous bay. Its quite casual, in the sand kind of BBq place, with lounge chairs and umbrellas.

new york
Level Contributor
419 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first timer, trying to make a to do list

When at SBE be sure to grab breakfast or a sandwich at Le Bon Pain. Go early for the best selection.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
333 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: first timer, trying to make a to do list

Congrats on choosing Anguilla. You've got good things planned so far and you're getting good tips. Viceroy easily has the best breakfast buffet. Frangipani is good for all 3 meals. Go to Blanchards for dinner. Don't listen to the snubbers. Of the top 5-6 restaurants it has great consistency for service & quality. the Mahi Mahi is vunderful. Pimms or Spice, Smokeys, da'Vidas bayside grill for lunch, Sunset bar at Viceroys, and as mentioned, Mangos is a must for din-din. Grilled chicken in the valley. Smokeys (my wife & split the chicken roti) & TT's & The Place have beach chairs for before & after lunch. Scilly Cay is best on Sun's if they still have live music. Sundays are also fun @ Johnno's and Dune Preserve on Rendezvous Bay for live music. Have a great time! (Museum in the East End if it rains).

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
10,293 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: first timer, trying to make a to do list

This was the 2012-2013 live music schedule

http://plumeriapress.com/live-music/

Good eats on the West End - Jacala, Mangos, Straw Hat, Trattoria Tramento, Ocean Echo, all are open for lunch and dinner, Gerards for breakfast and Lunch,

East End, Da Vida (L&D) Barrel Stay (they are open a few days for lunch - but I don't know when - dinners are wonderful) On Da Rocks - Sat and Sunday they have 5.00 crayfish, Veya - gets rave reviews, (D) Dolce Vida, (L&D) and Sandbar (D) - great tapas - 10.00 or less per plate.

Sundays - we love DaVida for lunch and Omari Banks and his band Eleven, from there we go to Johnnos for jazz with Sprocka and the Boys, then to On Da Rocks for 5.00 crayfish and British Dependency.

Many places are closed on Monday.

Ellen

Brick, NJ
Level Contributor
365 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: first timer, trying to make a to do list

Thanks for the input!! Ellen, I like the spreadsheet idea, may do it. Dont like itinararies on vacation but like you said, dont have to do whats on it but it will help.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
10,293 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: first timer, trying to make a to do list

Anthony, it is really a big help in planning what is open and what is closed, we don't always follow it, but it is handy to have, especially when we are looking around for something to "do" after dinner.

It works for me, based upon how we feel, I call the day of and may a dinner res.

Can't do that for Jacala or Straw Hat - they both require advance notice, but every where else it works just fine, and then we get to see our favorite bands - win win.

Ellen