We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US Airways Connecting Flight through CLT

Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Topic
US Airways Connecting Flight through CLT

Obviously a direct route is easiest, however, has anyone flown through Charlotte, I found a cheap flight for a Saturday morning and it arrives SXM quite early. I am coming from Toronto and there is a 1:15 in between flights. Is that enough time to transfer (and also go through immigration I believe).

Thanks.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
407 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: US Airways Connecting Flight through CLT

We always fly out of Charlotte. If you only have a little over an hour between flights and have to go through customs, that may be a problem. On the flight back from SXM in April we, of course, had to go through customs. We had about an hour and a half between landing and our connecting flight. It took us well over two hours to go through customs. TSA made no differentiation between travelers having short periods of time between connecting flights and long periods. That would make too much sense. Needless to say, we missed our flight. The next flight was booked and the next connecting flight was not until the next day.We ended up doing a one-way automobile rental for our 2 hour and 45 minute drive home, arriving home at 3:00 a.m. Aside from a possible customs detour, although Charlotte isn't a huge airport, an hour between flights can be stressful. Have done it in the past and won't do that again. Better to have wheels up at 5 a.m. here and wait in Charlotte for three hours for the connecting flight to SXM. Will do an earlier flight to Charlotte from SXM next time to get an earlier arrival in Charlotte so as to avoid another fiasco.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
506 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: US Airways Connecting Flight through CLT

I haven't yet but that is what I am doing this November- we are doing carry on only. (its LAX-CLT-SXM and back)

We have 1.5 hours on each leg of the trip, but fortunately there is a later flight that night if we don't make it on the return. The flight we chose coming home has a tighter timeline then I would like, but if we make it we will be back in LA by 8pm- rather than midnight- worth the risk in my opinion.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
407 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: US Airways Connecting Flight through CLT

We always do carry-on. That did not help. I hate getting stressed on the trip home after having completely de-stressed on Anguilla. Not worth the risk to me.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
506 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: US Airways Connecting Flight through CLT

Eugene- what day of the week do you typically return on? Just curious.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
407 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: US Airways Connecting Flight through CLT

Always on Monday.

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
36 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: US Airways Connecting Flight through CLT

I have flown Charlotte to SXM (via USAirways) a couple of times on the way to Anguilla. Our home airport is Wilmington, NC and we always take the earliest flight out of ILM to make sure that we get to CLT in plenty of time (and aren't doing the mad dash to make our connection to SXM).

I have only done customs in CLT on the return trip, but, we always plan on immigration taking at least an hour and a half and do the last flight of the evening back to our final destination. Last year (on a Thursday night) there were two other international flights that landed around the same time as our plane and customs was a zoo.

Edited: 1:57 pm, September 10, 2013
Granville MA
Level Contributor
647 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: US Airways Connecting Flight through CLT

We had trouble coming back through CLT in April. Our plane from SXM, for some reason, was diverted to San Juan for fuel. We KNEW without a doubt that if our flight had to go to San Juan there was going to be NO way that we would make our connection- carryon or not. AND we didn't. Also, so you know, there may be later flights but when we went to the counter to rebook there were NO empty seats. We had to fly standby (4 of us) on the last flight of the evening. Luckily we made it onto the flight but the other couple flying with us didn't. They had a horrendous time getting back to Hartford! We were told that the only flights for the next couple days were standby as well. We thought about renting a car to drive home- @12 hours. Our friends were put up in a dirty, disgusting hotel for the night. They were put on a plane to JFK then to Boston. Keep in mind on this particular day Boston was on lockdown because of the Marathon bomber. So, our friends got off in NY and had to find their own way home on their own dime. US Air handled everything wrong that day. The pilot had tried to tell us that by going to San Juan we would only be 15 min out of our way. REALLY?!?

We have also been in very long lines in CLT- taking 1 1/2 hrs. to get through them. THEN to go through all the other steps, including picking up our luggage, and going through security again.

I would give myself a very big layover window when going through CLT! Just my 2 cents!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
506 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: US Airways Connecting Flight through CLT

Guess we will be living dangerously. Fingers crossed the stars align- our tickets are already purchased!

ontario canada
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: US Airways Connecting Flight through CLT

We have done that from YYZ....your bags are trans...immigration into the US is done in Toronto......get a map of the CLT airport & ask the flight att.....what gate you need to go onward to SXM.....

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
14 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: US Airways Connecting Flight through CLT

Carry on. I repeat, carry on. There's no way you'll make it if you check. We often do SXM-CLT-SFO on US Airways and inevitably, we find ourselves running through the terminal at full speed to make the connection. Be sure to also carry snacks as there will be no time for a bite in the airport.

We landed in CLT very close to our connection last time (June 2013) and were handed a hotel voucher as they assumed we weren't going to make it. So at least you'll not be stranded if it does happen. However, DH looked at me and said "F**k this, run!" And we made it through customs and to our gate in about 15 minutes. So, it can be done. It might behoove you to practice running with a rolling bag. Enjoy your trip! We're headed out next Tuesday. :)