We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GB Express vs Ferry as to type of ride

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
GB Express vs Ferry as to type of ride

Could anyone tell me which of these- GB Express or Public Ferry will give me a smoother ride in the usually rough waters between St. Martin and Anguilla.

It is the up and down motion in the waves that gets to me.

Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
2,942 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GB Express vs Ferry as to type of ride

Very much depends on which ferry you get. Some of the newer ones ride the waves nicely; the older ones go up & down with the seas. Last time we went to Blowing Point to leave, we saw the oldest ferry was next up. There were significant ground seas so we opted for Funtime. Better choice for that time!

Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
2,942 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GB Express vs Ferry as to type of ride

P.S. I did not mean to exclude GB Express from my response. Also an excellent boat and crew but they had just left when we arrived.

Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: GB Express vs Ferry as to type of ride

In a side sea, which is what you'll get most of the time, it wont matter all that much. Just pop a Dramamine if you really think you need it and sit in the stern of the boat as close to midship as you can, close your eyes and relax. It's a very short ride across really.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
784 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: GB Express vs Ferry as to type of ride

Bemitten, it does make a significant difference. GB Express is known for handling the waves very smoothly. That's the type of boat and the way it is handled, including the route it takes.

Other shuttles my be equally good, but I have not experienced that (and Shauna is definitely not a smooth ride in my experience).

The public ferries make indeed no allowances to the sea conditions that I have ever noticed, and just plow through whatever is in the way. If you are sensitive to the motion, either hope for one of the newer and larger public ferries or opt for GB Express or one of the other shuttles that have good reputations.

Your advice to sit midships at the stern is good, because the screws create more or less a fixed point and the other parts of the boat tend to move more.

I question your advice to close your eyes and relax. Most people do better when they can see the horizon, as that gives a reference point for their sense of balance. Maybe the Dramamine makes a difference in that respect. Never touched the stuff in my life, but I would definitely recommend that sensitive people sit where they have a window on the outside world.

5. Re: GB Express vs Ferry as to type of ride

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 14, 2014